carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

My Huawei Youview box is stock on nearly there so Ive tried

My Huawei Youview box is stock on 'nearly there' so I've tried resetting the factory settings, but now it's stuck on the tuning channels section! The message states that it could take several minutes, but it's been over half an hour! Am I being too impatient?

Thanks for any help! Penny
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

carlday1 :

Hi Penny,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question.

I have had the same problem with my youview box, I find it will work ok for weeks then when I turned it on it would seem to hang. Sometimes I would manage to get it back to life by unplugging it but it could take serveral attempts.

I reset it to factory settings and updated the firmware on it and it seems to be ok at the moment.

Do you know how to update the firmware on the box. I would suggest trying that it might take many attempts to get the box on.

If a firmware update does not help solve the problem I would look at returning the box under warranty.

Customer:

Hello Carl & thanks for your advice! I do know how to reset the factory settings, & have tried, but it won't re-tune the TV channels. A message states that I can still use On Demand, but that won't load either! I've tried all the different sockets on my TV but feel that as they all work with my Humax PVR that the fault has to be with the Youview box. It came via Talk Talk & I've already arranged for an engineer to call but it takes weeks & they can't give me a date before May 6th! Not a very good service......but I expect that if I cancel this agreement & go with Virgin, that they might be just as bad?? Think I'll just have to be more patient??

carlday1 :

Hi Penny,

It is a poor service for talktalk I cannot see why they could not send you a box or allow for you to return the faulty box to them. I have a talktalk box and it has been temperamental but I seems to be ok at the moment. If the box is stopping when trying to use on demand I think it is likely to be software related or heat related.

If you are able to leave the box plugged in and on the internet if it is software related it might manage to sort itself out by updating automatically.

Customer:

Hello again Carl

Customer:

Now I'm being a blonde! Sorry! But I don't think I'm making myself clear?

Customer:

This is what happened - came home after being away for Easter & went to switch on TV & Youview box. Youview box lights on the front were already rolling from red to purple, as if something was recording, but nothing was. TV wouldn't switch on either. Tried all the usual things like unplugging, leaving unplugged for hours, shut down route then re started, but still nothing happened. It got as far as the blue screen with the Youview log & the message 'nearly there' but it never got there! So I then tried resetting the factory settings from the menu that I got from holding the + & - buttons at the same time. It updated the software, but when it tried to re-tune the TV channels, I got a message stating that this could 'take some minutes'. Nothing had happened after an hour, so I cancelled the operation which is when I got the message stating that no TV channels had been tuned, but that I could still watch recordings & On Demand, but the Youview box won't load to allow these....................this is when I wrote to just answer.uk! Think I might call Youview support & see what they have to say! But thanks again for your import, & apologies for sending messages before I'd finished writing them!