Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

We have a Samsung freesat HD SMT-S7800 digital TV recorder.

We have a Samsung freesat HD SMT-S7800 digital TV recorder. We switched the tv off while watching BBC4 HD then switched the recorder to standby. On switching on this morning the box still reads BBC4 the tv reads no audio/vidio currently running. How do we get the Samsung remote to change channels
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- How long both units been switched Off at the mains? a minute or more?
- Does menu screen show up if press menu button on recorder remote control?
- Does TV own menu screen come up if press Menu button on TV or its remote control?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to have taXXXXX XXXXXer to reply

Q 1 Longer than a minute about 5

Q2 No responce when pressing menu button on remote control

Q3 When menu is pressed on tv remote tv menu appears

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Terry,

It seems TV is fine as it respond to menu command and problem lies in recorder that seems stuck for some reason.
Please unplug recorder power cord from wall socket for 15 minutes to get it reset, replug back in and check.

Please reply back how it worked.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shahid

Unpluged recorder power cord waited 20min rebooted only to get the same result have pressed most of the buttons but still no luck

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear that Terry, it seems recorder has got internal failure and required repair by handy person, most probably the system control board is at fault.
If the recorder is still under warranty then please call Samsung or store to get it repaired under warranty and if it is out of warranty then it may cost you good money to replace main board in recorder.

We can't reset the recorder at this point when recorder's menu doesn't come up. I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sahid

Dead on 7oclock the tv came to life with bbc4 world news but unfortunately we still cannot change stations, can you think of anything else to try or will we only be able to watch bbc4 forever

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Terry,

It seems your TV is getting DVB channels through recorder (Ariel would be plugged in recorder) is this this correct?

Please connect Ariel directly in TV, turn Off recorder, press Source/ Input button to select TV as source then run channel scan option so TV can get available channels, this way you can watch all available channels over air antenna in TV.

Please reply back how it worked and in case of any trouble, please intimate TV model number to assist you further.