Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

I have just purchased from Amazon a KindleFire HDX *.9", HDX

I have just purchased from Amazon a KindleFire HDX *.9", HDX Display,Wi-fi,16 GB-Ele tronics B00D3UMEHQ : 948719027860. This arrived last Tuesday 22April. Having opened the package, I got it working. I tried the first operation - connecting to my broadband router on the Talk Talk operator. not being very technically skilled I experienced difficulty, and finally gave up to try later. or ask my more experienced friend . So I switched off my new Kindle Fire. Later, I thought to try again, but the Kindle would not turn on at all. I wondered if it needed charging. I connected the USB and the charging plug. The device registered an approximately 2mm red line on the battery. So I did put it on charge for a few hours. Now I can get no response of any kind from the device. my questions are,1) did I close down incorrectly in the first place and inadvertently lock the device? 2) Have I damaged the device by charging when it was not needed? I did try pressing down the 'on' button for 20 seconds, but this did nor release it. I would be grateful for your advice. Thank you, ***** ***** *****@******.*** phone XXXXXXXXXXX

Category: Electronics
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question Nina.
I'm Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Answer on your first question is NO. There is no way to close Kindle device incorrectly (you can turn it OFF by pressing Power button or you can leave it ON until battery is depleted).
There is no specific time when you need to charge battery on your device (you can, actually you need, to charge it when battery is empty or you can charge it anytime your battery is not on the specific level - for example: 10% battery level and you want to read a new book that require 50%).
Sometimes your Kindle can be unresponsive/frozen and keep you from using the device properly (the most important reason for this issue can be glitch in the software). If there is no hardware issue on the device, some of the solutions below should resolve this issue.
Please follow the steps below to reset your device:
1. Press and hold (or slide and hold) the power button for exactly 35 seconds.
2. After 35 seconds, release the power button.
3. Wait 2 minute, then turn on your Kindle.
Please try this procedure at least 3 times (if you have leather cover or any other cover remove it).
If the previous procedure doesn't work, perform the procedure below:
1. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 10 minutes.
2. After 10 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power (slide and hold) button for 35 seconds.
3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the Kindle to reboot.
Another solution for this kind of issue:
1. Connect the USB cable to computer (do not connect Kindle).
2. Hold the Power button for 20 seconds.
3. After 20 seconds while still holding Power button, plug the other part of the USB cable in the Kindle.
4. Leave the Kindle for 2 minutes and try to turn it on (hold the Power button for exactly 45 seconds).
Please try all solutions (step by step) and let me know if that works. I'll be waiting for your reply.
If none of those solutions works or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service. Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button and I'll provide you with the next step.
Kind Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Todd. I have tried all your suggestions but with no succesful effect I'm afraid. The first one I tried 5 times in all. the others once. I do find the'power on' switch small and fiddly. The ordinary old kindle I already have has a slide switch. I would welcome any other suggestions you may have. Thank you. Nina

Hi Nina,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for delay, I was offline.

If none of the previous solutions works (the most important troubleshooting steps), I have good and bad news for you (please don't shoot the messenger).

Bad news is that your Kindle is defective. I have provided you with the all troubleshooting steps for resolving this kind of issue (resetting the software, force reset, USB charging). Unfortunately there is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve.

Good news is that your Kindle is still under Amazon warranty. You have to contact Amazon warranty support service at 0800(###) ###-####(or 0800(###) ###-#### ***** order to receive a new Kindle for free. The returning shipment should be free as well.

There is an option that Amazon calls you. Please follow the steps below:

1. Go to the page below - click here. Log in using your Amazon account information.

2. Select Kindle > Kindle Device (or Troubleshooting my Kindle) > Problem with my Kindle > My Kindle is damaged or Kindle is frozen/unresponsive

3. Click Phone - Call us

4. Enter your number and choice "Call me now" or "Call me for 5 minutes".

Sorry I could not be of any more assistance, but there is a hardware issue that can't be resolved online.

If you are not satisfied with my personal service (my effort to help) or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service that will result in a permanent negative feedback on my record (very damaging for me). Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button (just reply "Please refund my deposit") and I'll connect you with our refund office (your deposit will be refunded).

Kind Regards,

Todd

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Todd, you were great. I'm sorry your excellent advice was, on this occasion unsuccessful. You have confirmed what I rather wondered, that the device itself is faulty. I will get on to them at Amazon straight away. many thanks

You're welcome Nina. I'm glad if I could help.
I'm very sorry because I did not solve your problem.
If you are satisfied with my personal service (my effort to help) please don't forget to rate my answer with GOOD SERVICE or EXCELLENT SERVICE, as this is the only way I get credited for helping you.
If not, please use the link below to request refund - click here
Thanks for using our service.
Best Regards,
Todd