carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

My Samsung CLP-325W is not printing. I have run a test and

My Samsung CLP-325W is not printing. I have run a test and nothing is pointed out that is not right, aparently all the boxes are ticked and it should work. I have a second computer connected to the printer and that is working fine.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question.

Could you tell me a little more about the way the printer is connected, is it a network printer or is it connected to one computer using USB.

Customer:

It is connected by cable. I have checked the connections and it all seems fine. It is almost if the drived has gone wrong.

Customer:

Yes, it is a USB connection.

Customer:

As you are offline at the moment, I will go as well and return in the morning as I have a lot of work to do.

carlday1 :

I am online

Customer:

Ok, is there anything I can do?

carlday1 :

I am happy to chat now or we can continue in the morning if it is easier

Customer:

Lets try to solve it now then I can make an early start, thanks

carlday1 :

What operating system are you using?

Customer:

Dell Dimension C521

carlday1 :

When you send a print does anything happen?

Customer:

No, it does nothing at all, not even the test page wont print. But from my second computer it works fine.

carlday1 :

I would suggest the first thing to try is to boot the computer to windows and the unplug the usb lead to the printer, if you have a different usb port plug the computer into the other port. Windows will reinstall the printer.

How is the second computer connected to the printer?

Customer:

The same way, also cable via USB

Customer:

How do you boot the computer to windows?

carlday1 :

When you turn the computer on it should load into windows, are you using windows

Customer:

XP

carlday1 :

brillant have you tried unplugged the printer and trying a different usb port.

Customer:

Yes, it is the same.

carlday1 :

could you go into the control panel for me and click on the printers icon.

Customer:

Ok, I'm on it.

carlday1 :

Does it show the samsung printer there

carlday1 :

Do you have the printer as your default if you do it will have a green tick by it

Customer:

Yes, it is there, I have just run a test page and it has printed that.

carlday1 :

brillant, What program were you trying to print from?

Customer:

I'm not sure what program it is. i have just tried a word document but that failed. i think the test page was from the printer propoerties.

carlday1 :

When you tried to print in word did you click the printer icon of did you go file, print

Customer:

I went to file & print. I have just lined up a PDF and this was done through the icon, but nothing again.

carlday1 :

When you go file and print could you check the printer selected is the samsung and not print to file

Customer:

Yes, I have done that and it is set to the Samsung active printer, But the status says the printer is off line.

carlday1 :

In control panel you where able to get a test print from windows

carlday1 :

Could you go to control panel and the double click on the samsung printer hopefully that will open the print quene

Customer:

Okay,

carlday1 :

Could you let me know if there is anything in the queue, if there is, could you delete everythng

Customer:

Okay, i.ve done it. In the printer properties the box for 2location" is empty. Is that right?

carlday1 :

If the queue is empty that is good.

Could you try this

Click Start - Run and type services.msc and press the OK button. Right-click on the Print Spooler service, and select Restart.

Customer:

I don't have a start button? There must be a alternative to start on this one.

carlday1 :

Have you got a windows key?

Customer:

no

carlday1 :

it is like a flag made of 4 squares bottom left of the keyboard

Customer:

Yes I got it and pressed it but it does not give me "run" like my home computer.

carlday1 :

if you press the windows key and R you should get a run box

carlday1 :

type services.msc into the run box and press the OK button. Right-click on the Print Spooler service, and select Restart.

Customer:

Okay, done that. Phew!

carlday1 :

Are you able to print now?

Customer:

No, i just tried again but it is the same.

carlday1 :

I was hopefull that restarting the spool would have fixed it are you able to print from any program?

Customer:

No, it still says two documents in queue and status is offline.

carlday1 :

Can you delete the two documents in the queue

Customer:

okay, that is done.

carlday1 :

Could you go back to control panel and printer and right click the printer and select use printer online.

Customer:

It just says printer offline, I cannot get it to go online

carlday1 :

What happens when you click use printer online. Do you have an option to use printer online

carlday1 :

enter image description here
Full Size Image

Customer:

No, I do not have this option

carlday1 :

I am just doing some research normally restarting the spooler would have solved the problem. Have you tried rebooting the computer?

Customer:

Yes, Maybe we should have a sleep on it and start again in the morning? I'm not sure if it coud be the drivers or ports? I dont know too much about it.

carlday1 :

That will be fine I am about in the morning.

Customer:

I will be in touch in the morning, time for dinner. g'd night carl

carlday1 :

Goodnight

Customer:

Hi Carl, I am back now and I thought I will uninstall and delete the printer completely from the computer and then reinstall and start again. What would your advice be?

carlday1 :

Hi, I have just made it online, that would be the next thing I would have suggested

Customer:

Okay, I have done it and although I could not find the CLP325W in the list, I went for the 350 which was the nearest and it works. Cross fingers it will stay like that. I have printed a test page and a couple of different documents and it seems fine now. Can I thank you for your help, especially your patience last night as you can tell I'm not all that clued up on technology. I will give you top rating. Cheers, George.

carlday1 :

I am pleased to hear it is solved now George, If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I wish I could say what had caused it but I feel it is just one of those strange things that happens with computers from time to time.