*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

Sold Nikon 1 Nikkor 30-110 lens in next to new condition on

Sold Nikon 1 Nikkor 30-110 lens in next to new condition on Ebay. Buyer said it won't open, yet it did when it left me. Now I have it back, and the button is pretty much jammed down...is there any way I can open it again without sending for repair? I no longer have the camera body as I sold that at the same time, to another buyer.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your Nikon Nikkor lens.
Unfotunately you will need to have the lens attached to a camera. The lens motor is probably stuck. This could have happened during shipment.There could have been a bit of sand or debris already present and got lodged in the wrong place while being shipped.
These are the instructions for freeing the lens motor while attached to a camera.
  • First make sure your batteries are fully charged..
  • You can also try compressed air. There may be sand or another object stuck in the lens motors. Use compressed or canned air with a fine tip. Direct the air between the camera body and lens and move in a circular motion around the lens to free any debris.
  • You can also try to tap the cover firmly on a table with a towel folded to cushion the surface.
  • The last method is to try and force the lens. Turn off your camera and place it on its back on a flat surface. Look at the spacing between the lens and the body and see if the gap is consistent all the way around the lens. If the gap is not even it is likely that the camera fell while the lens was extended. Now VERY GENTLY push down on the lens were the gap is the biggest until you her a "click". This will indicate that the lens is back in place. Try powering back on.
  • If the lens does not extend or it extend and retracts turn of the camera. Hold the camera in your one hand and with the other hand turn the one part of the lens in a circular motion. Rotate both sections of the lens until you hear a "click". This will indicate that the lens popped back in place. Power the camera back on.
  • The last method you can use is to turn the lens while powering on the camera until you hear a "click". Power the camera of and back on to see if it works.
If any of these methods do not work the next option will be to get it professionally cleaned or repaired.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
Please take a moment to rate my service positively.
Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did make it clear that I no longer have the camera body so I have no way of testing it on a camera.

Yes, that is clear. I am sorry about this.
Unfortunately, you will need to have the lens attached to a camera or have it profesionally cleaned.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mainly because you wrote a very long reply, which you could have saved yourself if you'd read that I didn't have a camera body.

Apologies but your response wasn't much help at all.

Yes, I did read your question. I began my answer to you with the reply, "unfortunately you will need the camera."
I would appreciate a positive review as this reflects my service to you. JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied.
Unfortunately, the rating you gave goes on my personal record and affects my customer service score and my job. . . I am doing my very best to help you. I would appreciate not getting a negative review as this reflects my service to you. Did I misunderstand the question>is there any way I can open it again without sending for repair?