carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

My Toshiba Satellite P100-434 appears to boot up as power light

Customer Question

My Toshiba Satellite P100-434, running on Windows 8, appears to boot up as power light and blue lights around the speakers are on. The hard drive lights are active, but my screen is blank/black no trace of any light except when a strong light is on it and viewed on the side a ghost image is seen. I guess the backlight is blown. I tried to hold the power button down for 60 secs after disconnecting the battery and power supply to eliminate any static, and boot again, but that did not work. I tried to connect a external monitor to it and still no image on the monitor. I suspect faulty graphics card on motherboard. However I also suspect that since my computer lid does not shut well or sticky, the computer is registering "lid down" even though the "lid is up". I do not know how to clean or eliminate this as a possible problem or know how to proceed further without having to replace the motherboard or be sure that the screen needs replacing. Please help.

Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

carlday1 :

Customer:

hi

carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question.

I suspect that the most likely cause would be the backlight inverter or the backlight tube in the screen, if you connect the computer to an external monitor you will need to make sure it is plugged in when the computer is first turned on because some computers fail to detect it if the monitor is not plugged in on boot up.

Can you see the lid switch if you can I would clean it using a cotton wool bud and some cleaning alcohol or if you have access to an air compressor a blast of air should clean it.

Customer:

I did switch off the computer when I connected it to an external speaker, that did not help. i'll try cleaning the the lid lock switch and see what happens.

carlday1 :

A replacement inverter is available here and I would try the inverter first it is cheaper than a screen and is the most likely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261393561350?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Customer:

Ok I'll try that £7.50 is very reasonable.

carlday1 :

When you are fitting the inverter you will be able to give the switch a clean and have a check of the wiring.

Customer:

ok

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have now replaced the backlight inverter and cleaned the contacts, but sadly the screen is blank/black. I suspect its the Screen or Graphics card on the motherboard. Can't think of how to proceed..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Tried out the experts suggestion and not successful so far