Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

sony bravia kdl-46ex524 46 full hd led tv have had for a couple

sony bravia kdl-46ex524 46 full hd led tv have had for a couple of years not used much once a week. Problem red light goes on flashes 3 times then off for three seconds then on for 3 seconds. TV will not turn on just little red flashing light
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
I'm sorry you are having trouble with this TV.

Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug and check?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

power plug pulled out over night only internet cable and ariel left in

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please give me 10 minutes to look into related manuals, be right back.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
I'll get back to you in 10 minutes,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Just found your notes on my email I thought you had disappeared. wil l keep looking at emails

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shahid are you coming back?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi Catherine,

Yes, you will find my reply in email and on this chat thread as well.

I'm writing the answer now that will get to you in few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Red light flashes 3 times then off for five seconds then flash again for 3 seconds is an error code as TV has self diagnostic feature that can detect various internal issues.
Now above said error code indicates problem with Audio Processor section in TV and possible causes are either sound processor isn't getting working voltage (+12V) from power supply board or sound processor chip itself became defective and causing the problem.
It needs further trouble shooting inside TV with voltmeter to determine what board is causing the problem to get it replaced that would help to resolve the issue.
Please reply back if you are repairing this TV yourself to assist you with further info OR local TV repair shop will replace the defective board in TV.
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face under the answer then click submit button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If its sound board how come there is no picture? Picture did flick on for a few seconds when I tried to turn on this morning but no picture since then

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi have also had some dusty building work done could it just be just that has got inside?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Let me explain..

This TV has built in self-diagnostic feature that checks various systems in TV while it boot up and if found any error/ defect, protection mode kicks in and TV goes to standby/ Off mode with flashing red power light and numbers of flashing light indicates error code, in your TV it is 3 times blink, pauses and repeats.

Sound processor chip isn't working for some reason (which I explained in my previous reply) thus TV goes to protection mode and error code presents with 3 times red flashes.

Replacement of either main board where sound processor is mounted or power supply board after checking output volts will resolve the issue in TV.

No, dust has nothing to do with this problem and it is hardware failure in TV.

Hope these info will help, Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can you recommend where I would get this fixed ? and also would heat have caused this problem as the tv is near a window?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Best place is nearest Sony service center in your area or local TV repair shop would do this job for you.
Please check Sony UK Support link to locate service center in area...

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/series/prd-tvhc

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
I just got your additional message.. "and also would heat have caused this problem as the tv is near a window?"

I don't think heat could be cause of this problem as TV has internal thermal protection as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks do you have any idea how much this kind of repair would cost?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Catherine,

Main board or power board would be available under 100 Pounds plus TV tech labor so you can expect 160 to 180 Pounds repair cost from local TV repair shop and Sony service center may charge bit higher.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a reference to get back to you ? In the future
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi Catherine,

There are few ways to contact me for any additional question.

Please bookmark this page to open it up at later time for any follow up question OR please click the link in email that sent to your email box from JustAnswer.com to open this chat thread to post any further question.
OR log on to JustAnswer.com, go to My Question link on top of page then click this question link to open it at your computer to follow up.
OR check following link to post a fresh question directly to me.

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/electronics/expert-shahid/

Hope these info will help, Please feel free to respond if you have any further questions.
Regards.

Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I will do as you have said this week if the engineer concurs I will then be able to give the correct feedback. Many thanks

Regards Catherine.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
No problem Catherine, please reply back how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will bring tv in tomorrow hopefully they will be able to fix it straight away. please remind me to give feedback if I don't respond back by Friday. Regards

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sure, I'll send follow up message by Friday.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Morning Shahid

this morning I turned the tv on and it worked perfectly ? Just pressed the button box and it worked! perfectly. It appears that it may have just been the heat on a hot day? will keep turning it on and off and hopefully will not need to go to the repair unit.

Catherine

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Catherine,

Glad to know TV is working fine, please keep checking it to see how it goes, if the problem was due to heat then it may occur again and this will confirm that it happens due to heat.

Shahid.