Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

sony vcr slv720g/1 leaves loop of tape when ejected?

Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

If the take-up reel doesn't rotate fast enough to wind all of the tape that's being pulled through by the capstan, it will cause a loop when the tape is ejected.

Similarly, if the rubber idler wheel is worn or defective it will cause the tape to slip and a loop to form.
If you can track down the cause of the fault and obtain a replacement part and install it, it may cure the problem. However, most people find it more economical to simply buy a new VCR, since when these parts start to wear and get replaced, others tend to wear and fail soon after.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would it be possible to identify the parts you refer to in your answer by way of a schematic? I am a long since retired radio and television engineer,but have relatively no experience on VCR,s

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Raymond,
Unfortuantely I don't have a schematic drawing available for this model.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try and get more info. on this vcr and hopefully get it sorted.Thanks for your help.