Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Samsung TV will not connect with Sky box. TV says no channels

Samsung TV will not connect with Sky box. TV says no channels stored use Auto Store?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Can you please get me the model number written on back of Samsung TV?
- What type of connection cable used to connect Sky box to this TV?
is it HDMI cable, AV cable or component video cable?

- Was TV working fine before with the same Sky box and recently got this problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shahid

The Model is LE32C450E1W

It is a HDMI cable and the problem only occurred this morning the TV was OK last night.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mary,

Thanks for the info.
Have you tried to push Source button on TV or its remote control to select HDMI input in TV that would help to get Sky box picture?
If that doesn't help then unplug TV and Sky box power cord from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, turn them On and check.
Since TV gets video signal from Sky box so there is no need to use Auto Store option for channel search as Sky box is the source for channels to this TV.

Please reply back how it goes.

Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am afraid it still says the same, I have done all the things you said. What now?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, Can you try another video source (dvd or bluray player etc) in HDMI input of TV instead of Sky box?
This way we will check TV and HDMI cable is working or not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My DVD player only has a SCART socket but not a HDMI socket. The red TV on/off button is now flashing on and off. Is this significant?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, flashing red light indicates internal issue in TV.
Please turn Off and back On the TV, does it work normal now and display any thing on screen?

Is the Sky box has Scart or RCA video out jacks to connect it to TV with AV cable as HDMI connection doesn't show picture?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After turning off and on it still says "no stored channnels found. Please run Auto Store."

Still red light flashing and no progress with Scart lead. What now?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Does input source list appear when press Source button on TV remote?
If yes, can you please select HDMI input (that hooked to Sky box) in that list?

TV will show "no stored channnels found. Please run Auto Store." when it is set on TV source to get local broadcasting through Ariel, we need to change its source to Sky Box which works like any other connected video device connected to TV like DVD, bluray or gaming console etc.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot get source button to function I press and nothing happens

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear that, have you tried Source button on TV front panel?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

none of the buttons on the front of the TV are working the only interaction on the TV is between the OK and cancel which is on the screen with the statement "no stored channels found. Please run Auto Store" and though we can move between the oK and cancel we cannot get a response when we click either of them.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mary,

Push Enter button located in center or navigation buttons on the TV remote control to execute the Cancel option in auto store screen display.
Does Enter button work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the only interaction between TV remote and the screen is between the OK button and the cancel button but when you press either of the buttons nothing happens. The remote only lets me go between these two buttons

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, it seems TV has been reset for some reason and displaying initial setup screen.
Please select Cancel option and use Source button on TV front to see if it execute the cancel option.
Source button on TV front works as Enter too so try that button because it is quite possible the Enter button on TV remote may not be working.

Please reply back how it worked.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

none of the buttons on the TV seem to be working, I have tried them a few times now and I am not getting anything. It all seems to be jammed.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, this is very odd thing happening in this TV.
Was TV left unplugged from wall socket for 10 minutes or less?
Also, can you please replace batteries in TV remote and then try again?

If nothing works then we will try to update TV firmware which would be last option to repair the problem and if firmware update doesn't work then I'm afraid we are looking at defective main board of TV that has got hardware failure and need to replace main board in TV to resolve the issue.
Please try the TV remote with new batteries and reply back how it worked to proceed to next level of troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried new batteries with no success.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please check following Samsung support link to download "Firmware Upgrade file", copy it on USB memory device and follow the instructions to upgrade the firmware in TV that might help to resolve the issue...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LE32C450E1WXXU

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Downloaded the update file onto a USB memory file and put it into the TV and nothing happened!!! The red on/off light is still flashing and the same message is on the TV and I can still move between the OK and Cancel button but still cannot do anything else.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please unplug TV power cord, plug the USB memory in TV, replug power cord in wall socket, turn the TV On and check the light on USB memory, does it flash to indicate data communication with TV?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The USB flashed for a couple of minutes when I first put it in after starting the TV with the USB in the socket, but it then stopped flashing. The TV sounds like it is coming on when I switched the power on but it has not made any difference.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mary for the info.

Please give TV some time like 30 minutes to finish the firmware update process and do not press any button during the process.
Firmware update usually takes 20 - 30 minutes to complete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I will leave it for 40 minutes to be on the safe side.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, I hope firmware update would help to resolve the issue and if, just in case, doesn't help then we need to replace main board in TV.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately this has not worked!!

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry Mary, I'm trying hard to get the TV back in business.

Now there are two possible boards that can cause such problem and I would swap the control board where the touch buttons are located because it is just the enter button not working to proceed in setup screen so most likely it would be the control buttons small board mounted on lower right front of TV.
TV back cover will be removed to access to that board, get the part number off of control button board and search google it for price info to order it as it would be available around 15 - 20 Pounds and replacement is easy for a handy person.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face under the answer then click submit button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.

Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech