Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My ipad Air worked perfectly yesterday morning, and was fully

My ipad Air worked perfectly yesterday morning, and was fully charged. In the afternoonI opened up but the screen was black, and is not working, even when I pressed the "sleep" button and "home" button". (I am in my 80's and therefore not too computer familiar!)

Could you help me please? Hilary
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Hilary,

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your iPad Air question.

Ensure the iPad Air is still fully charged - plug it in for an hour or so and you should see the battery symbol appear on the screen.
Then try pressing and holding the Power button for around 10 seconds to force the iPad Air to fully boot down. Press and hold the Power button again after a few minutes to turn it back on again.

Let me know if it then starts up and works successfully.

Pete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Pete,

I've got the power on (been out for an hour or 2), so will leave it charging.

Sorry to be so utterly dim, but which is the power button? Is it the one on the short side on its own?

Speak to you later.

Hilary

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Hilary,
The Power button is the short one on its own.
You can also try holding down the Sleep/Wake button and then slide to power off.

Let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Pete,

No signs of a battery signal after about 2 hours on charge

It occurred to me that when I connected the charger there was no sound to confirm connection, which I've always heard before. I've been to a neighbour and neither does hers on my tablet.

Do you think the tablet may be faulty? It was working so beautifully yesterday am - and all I had done was close it up!

Hilary

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Hilary,
First, I would suggest trying a different charger, in case the one you are using is defective.
Also check that the charging socket on the iPad is clear of any lint - you can use a vacuum cleaner or compressed air to clean it out.
Let me know how you get on!
Pete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pete, I used my neighbour's charger - same model as mine - when I

tested it a minute or so ago. No sound.

There can't be any new fluff in the socket, because the ipad was on permanent charge between working and not working.

Anything else, or do we give up?

Hilary

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
If you have already tried another charger and checked for fluff, then that just leaves the iPad itself as the likely defective object.
It may be that the battery is worn out and needs replacing.
You should always see the charge symbol on the display when the charger is connected, even when the battery is completely flat.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've only had the tablet since the end of Jan. and kept it permanently topped up. Think we must be narrowing the field for solving the problem, are we? So disappointing. I love my ipad!!

Hilary

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Hilary,
Keeping the battery topped up is actually not advisable - it should be allowed to fully discharge every so often to keep it in good shape.
If it is always topped up, this can cause the battery to wear out prematurely.
However, since the iPad is quite new, I'd recommend taking it to a local Apple Store - they should be able to sort something out for you under warranty.

Best,

Pete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pete, Thanks for your help.

Don't quite know how to rate you, as I'm disappointed, but you've done your best.

Thank-you.

Hilary

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it couldn't work out better for you.
Please bear in mind that the rating is for my personal service, so a low rating means I am penalised.

Thanks,
Pete.

Pete, Engineer
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.