Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

no sound on my tv philips 37pf5521d/1o have changed audio

no sound on my tv philips 37pf5521d/1o have changed audio board
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Do you get sound if plug headphone to this TV?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have no headphones to test

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Do you have active / powered speaker set that used with computer to connect it in headphone jack of TV for sound check?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok got headphones,tested and sound output ok through headphones

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please increase the TV volume level up to full and check, do you hear faint hisss from TV speakers?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nothing heard

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, do you have multimeter to check supply volts from power board to sound amplifier board in TV?

There is a connector IM02 on power board and a 7 pin harness runs from there to sound board for voltage supply, can you please check +/- DC volts at that connector?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry i dont have multimeter may i say that the other board was just the same no sound

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, can you please elaborate it?

Also, can you arrange/ get a multimeter to check requested volts?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok will see if can get me one the other audio standby board is the same as no sound will get back to you when i can

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
No problem Derek,

In my opinion, sound amplifier chip isn't getting voltage supply from power board that is why no sound output.
Headphone test confirms that sound processor is working but the sound amplifier chip that drives the speakers in TV isn't working and if no voltage supply available from power supply bard then swapping the sound board won't help at all.
Once you have multimeter to check volts, please reply back to proceed further in troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi shahid have got multimeter what pins do i use off the seven

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi Derek,

Pin-1 and 2 for -V and pin-5 and 6 for +V on connector 1M02 of power supply board.

What volt reading you get on multimeter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nothing if i have used it right i put the leads both ways round

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please look for a fuse 1007 on power supply board that would be open and causing no volts for sound output chip in TV.
I think it would be reddish color cylinder thing marked as 1007 T5A or some thing.

if that fuse is open, use single thin wire to jump it temporarily for testing purpose to see if volts are available on 1M02 connector?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi again have jumped the fuse and still no reading

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Did you find the fuse open?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes open

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes open

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, use pin-3 or 4 of connector as ground (for black lead of meter) and use red lead to check volts.
Does any reading on meter appear now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no reading

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, plug the harness in 1M02 connector and turn On TV.
Now check again the required volts please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

done that still no reading

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, I would recheck the fuse jumper again, did you solder a jumper wire over fuse terminals?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

d ident solder jumper wire just wind round the pins ps can i test for power at the fuse

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi Derek,

Soldering a thin wire on open fuse terminals is a proper way to jump the open fuse temporarily for testing purpose.

As I mentioned in my previous answer, sound amplifier chip isn't getting voltage supply from power board to function that caused no-sound output in TV.

Since you have install new sound board so all you need is to replace the fuse/ jump the fuse to restore voltage supply to sound chip to get sound in TV.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face under the answer then click submit button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

soldered wire across fuse still no power before or after the fuse.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
No DC volts will be available before or after the fuse, please check the continuity across the fuse to make sure it has been jumped securely then set meter to DC Range, use black lead to pin-4 or 5 for ground and check DC volts at diode 6029 and 6030.
Please check following image of schematics taken from related service manual that will help to troubleshoot the problem..

http://i.imgur.com/5pc09kR.jpg

Thanks.,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi thanks for taken time with me i got a second mulitimeter if i done right volt reading 001 in all the ways written to check but just the same no sound

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

This is odd, please replace the PSU in TV, sound board requires voltage supply from PSU to work.
Required PSU would be available at ebay.uk for around 30 - 40 Pounds that would help to resolve the problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

odd ill say so i have to get psu meening main power board i know am a pain

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Derek,

I'm trying best happily to help you, yes, need to swap entire power supply board, we have tried all possible ways to get it fixed (means to have volts for sound board) but nothing worked.
Sound board in TV has been replaced and all it needs voltage supply/ power as like any other circuit to function so when it will get power from power supply board it will start working.
I hope you will get replacement PSU at ebay.uk on cheap price so give it a shot and reply back how it goes.

Thank you and good luck!

Shahid.

Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech