nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

my computer doesnt let me access my profile saying: user profile

my computer doesn't let me access my profile saying: user profile service failed logon. It is my main user profile and is also the only administrator profile
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 2 years ago.

nathan_mills :

nathan_mills :

Is your computer password *****

Customer:

no

nathan_mills :

Have you tried restarting your system

nathan_mills :

WHat is the operating system on your computer

Customer:

many times

Customer:

windows 7

nathan_mills :

Boot into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to the right menu where you can use your arrow key to select Safe Mode [enter].

nathan_mills :

Try a System Restore to when things were working. If you can log into your own user account, you're finished.

Customer:

but then I loose contact with you and I am clueless from then on

nathan_mills :

Are you using this on the same system

Customer:

yes

nathan_mills :

give me a moment. \Let me tell you all the steps and then you try to follow those.

nathan_mills :

We can also connect later when you will turn your system on

Customer:

how do I reconnect with you

nathan_mills :

You can open justanswer.com and log in to your profile

nathan_mills :

Then you can continue from where you left

nathan_mills :

Follow these steps:Reboot it and start your computer in safe mode, then log on using the Administrator (or an Administrator-level) account.

nathan_mills :

Open the Start menu. In the Start Search area, type regedit and press Enter (if prompted by UAC, click Continue/Yes). In regedit, go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Expand the ProfileList key and look for the SID key (named "S-1-5"...) with a long number that ends in ".bak". Click it, and look at the ProfileImagePath value in the right pane to verify that this is the user account profile that has the error.

nathan_mills :

a) If you have two SID keys with the same number (with one ending in ".bak" and one showing the affected user account in the ProfileImagePath value), continue to Step 3;
b) If you have just one SID key with the ProfileImagePath value showing the affected user account, proceed to Step 4.

nathan_mills :

3.

Two SID keys with the same number

a) Of the two SID keys that corresponds to the affected user account, right-click the SID key that does NOT end in ".bak" and click Rename. b) Add .bk to the end of the numbers and press Enter.
c) Right-click the other SID key that DOES end in ".bak" and click Rename.
d) Remove only .bak from the end of the numbers (so that it has the same name as the other SID key did before you renamed it) and press Enter.
e) Now go back and Rename the first one with .bk to .bak now at the end of the numbers and press Enter.

nathan_mills :

4.Only one SID key ending in ".bak"

a) Right-click the SID key that corresponds to the affected user account and click Rename.
b) Remove only .bak from the end of the numbers, and press Enter.
c) In the right pane, right-click the RefCount value (if none exists, right-click the right pane and click New and DWORD (32 bit) Value, then type RefCount and press Enter), and click Modify.
d) Type 0 into the Value Data textbox and click OK.
e) In the right pane, right-click the State value and click Modify.
f) Type 0 into the Value Data textbox and click OK.

nathan_mills :

Close regedit and restart the computer. You should be able to logon now..

nathan_mills :

FOllow these steps and your problem will be solved

nathan_mills :

Please rate the solution positively

nathan_mills :

Revert back if you need any further assistance.

Customer:

I'll try to work that out, thanks, ***** ***** still problems I shall try to contact you later.

nathan_mills :

Okay. Take your time. Good luck and have a nice day. Cheers Nathan

nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience: Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.