KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Technician
Experience:  Working since 15 years
70193065

Hi, My Philips 32PFL5405H/12 (December 2010) switched itself

My Philips 32PFL5405H/12 (December 2010) switched itself off and I can't turn back on. The middle red light on front bottom corner of the set blinks 3 times, then a pause and so on with 3 blinks...
I have plugged out all peripherals and the set itself from the wall and left plugged out overnight. I have tried again today but no joy. I have tried plugging it in other sockets. I would like to know if it can be fixed or is it cream crackered ?
Many thanks in advance,
Ger
Category: Electronics
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

Customer:

Hi there - sorry I didn't realise you were waiting for a reply !! Hope you can help - thanks again.

KevinWhiteJA :

Sure, are you looking to repair this yourself

Customer:

I wouldn't be that handy - just want to know is it a big job or is there something I could do myself at home with little experience required ? I don't really want to send off for repair as it would probably be better to replace the set. Just want to know the nature and seriousness of the problem or what could be causing it - I gather the 3 blinks may suggest the set is in protective mode indicating that a bigger problem lurks under the bonnet.....

KevinWhiteJA :

Red light blinking three times means that the issue is with the power supply going bad due to over voltage ... there are few parts that should be checked and replaced..if the power supply board has to be replaced then it will cost you around £200..the set requires testing to determine what part exactly is bad

KevinWhiteJA :

The set has to be opened up and some live tests have to be performed so as to check what exactly is causing this problem

KevinWhiteJA :

Faulty capacitors on the power supply board are the most common cause

Customer:

As I had feared ! Could you offer any likely scenarios as to why the over voltage - could it have been prevented if it was plugged into a surge protection board first ? (During power cuts, etc - I say this as there is regularly surges in our area where the electricity cuts out sometimes weekly leading to the main fuse cutting out - neighbours houses are the same...)

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes it might have been prevented if the surge protector would have been used...while it is hard to tell that the problem is definitely the power board without performing any relevant tests..but yes frequent power cuts might have caused this

Customer:

Well it looks like there's the reason behind the problem - are the problems with faulty capacitors common enough with certain brands or types of tv's ? And also could I ask you from your experience what brands/type of tv would be most reliable to avoid such faults and if using a surge protector would definitely help avoid this problem on a future set ? Thanks again.

KevinWhiteJA :

Well, I personally won't recommend anyone to buy a Plasma TV of any brand whatsoever

KevinWhiteJA :

Philips is usually better and so is Samsung, Sony ... if you can avoid Panasonic ... just my recommendation though

Customer:

Will probably go for an LCD - are any makes more reliable than others (in main brands - I would stay away from Techwood, etc, etc - I would choose Sony, Philips, LG, etc)

Customer:

Oh grand - didn't see the second line of your reply!

KevinWhiteJA :

:)

Customer:

Listen thanks very much for your assistance - you have been really helpful. Can I finally ask your thoughts on LG and Smart TV's?!

KevinWhiteJA :

LG is a better option and so is Sony

KevinWhiteJA :

you can go for any of these two

Customer:

Great - thanks again. A replacement set will be sought when the sales are on !!

Customer:

Have a good evening and thanks again.

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ....Have a Good Evening...Thanks

Customer:

Will do Kevin - much appreciated.