Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.
42300671

Hi I have a mitsubishi projector xd221u-st and when switched

I have a mitsubishi projector xd221u-st and when switched on the power and status lights go green and I can hear the fan but it cuts out in abou 5 - 10 seconds
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Unfortunately the fault could be caused by a number of problems and you might need to send the unit away for repair.

The first thing I would suggest to check is that all vents are free from dirt and any filters are clean, I use a paintbrush for clean projector vents.

Does the projecter attempt to strike the lamp?

Customer: No lamp does no light and all vents are clear
Customer: You don't sound as if you have knowledge of this product !!!!
Customer: I am looking for a mitsubishi engineer as it is there product
carlday1 :

I have more knowledge of hitachi projectors and Benq, I will opt out and see if another expert has more experience in Mitsubishi projectors.

Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.
Different expert here. My name is*****'ve worked professionally with Mitsubish products for over a decade, and I am currently examining the service data for your XD221U.

What is the current service life of this projector, in hours please? Also, what's the model number of the lamp you installed and have the symptoms changed at all since it was installed?

Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Spare lamp is XD221U-ST : VLT-XD221LP. As re in mitsubishi
Handbook

Can't tell you the service life as I can get it to go on
Symptoms the same

Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.
Great. Thank you.

You said the power and status LEDs go green, and you hear the fans for 5-10 seconds. What happens then? Do the LEDs ever turn a different color? Do they ever flash?

Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cuts out then goes sold red power
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cuts out then goes solid red power only no flashing
Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.
OK, this isn't a problem with the lamp, a fan, or the temp sensor. Those almost always give us different LED indicators.

I'm worried about the power PCB and the lamp power PCB. The power PCB is designed to send 380V to the lamp power PCB, and the lamp power PCB then uses the 380V to create the kilovolts required to ignite the lamp.

Are you able to measure 380V with a meter? I can send you a diagram if it would be helpful.

Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's wired into a fused spur !
Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. I've uploaded the full disassembly instructions for you >>here<< in case you're having trouble. I can also upload a schematic of the power PCB if you'd rather. The connector we're measuring for 380V should be CN101, pins 1 and 3.

Dan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry can't test I have no equipment
What is your best guess and estimate of cost to put right

Cheers
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry can't test I have no equipment

Cheers
Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry on the delayed response. I'm in the US and sometimes have trouble getting into the UK side of the site.

Based on the symptoms you described, the most probable cause is a defective lamp power supply, which is sometimes called the ballast. The ballast's job is to "step up" or increase the 380V it receives from the power supply into a much larger kilovolt range level to light the lamp.

The part number on that is 934D054O50. I do not see any that are available here in the US, so you would have to search locally to determine availability and price. It will probably be expensive, I'm afraid. Either way, that would be the most probable cause and should be replaced at this point.

Hopefully that answers your question on why the unit is shutting down.

Perhaps unrelated but since I'm here, I thought you might like to know how to enter the service mode to determine how many hours are on each of the unit's assemblies, as well as their expected lifespan (in hours). Please >>click here<< to download that chart.

Also, should the unit begin flashing some sort of code or sequence of colored LEDs, you can use this chart to help interpret them:
graphic

I hope that answers your question! If not, just let me know. Also, please take a second to rate the service I provided today, as that is the only way I receive credit for answering questions here. I hope I was excellent! Thanks!
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience: USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.