carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

HI i have a fridge panasonicNR-B53V1

HI i have a fridge panasonicNR-B53V1
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.

carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Is this a new problem has the fridge been working fine up until now?

Is the fridge cold?

The display should flash until the fridge is lower than 8C and the freezer is lower than -12C when the fridge is lower than these temperature the display will display the actual fridge/freezer temperature.

Can you hear the compressors running?

Customer:

yes there is a set of bars that show from sat 1 to 5

Customer:

when it sits on 8 it still only shows at moment 1 bar so not working hard fridge is not very cold but just a chill on food

Customer:

hi are u still ther i hope u are

carlday1 :

hi

carlday1 :

Do the bars that indicate how fast the compressor is working always stay on one bar?

Customer:

ye are u getting anywhere with the problem please

Customer:

now saying comp working to fu;; 5 bars but still on 8

carlday1 :

Thats good that the compressor is working harder can you hear it working?

Customer:

ye it seems maybe the info when u program to bring to 2 or 3 is not being understood by internalls ?

carlday1 :

What temperature is the fridge set to?

What temperature does the panel say the freezer is at?

It could be that one of the controls inside the fridge has failed there are several.

carlday1 :

Is the fridge free from Ice?

Customer:

free of ice

Customer:

no settings inside fridge

Customer:

fridge on 8 wont hold temp u want goes striaght to 8

carlday1 :

Sorry my mistake I meant to say one of the control boards has failed.

Customer:

well maybe thats what i think

carlday1 :

When you set the temperature do you hold the middle button at the end of process? The service manual states hold button

carlday1 :

I can send you a copy of the service manual it goes through test mode etc but to put the fridge into test mode you need to access some control boards.

It might help you test the fridge if you felt you would like to attempt repair yourself

Customer:

ye i have control book

carlday1 :

Have you managed to set temp?

Customer:

Morning

Customer:

No not able to set temp but came down this morning and cooler running to full on 5 bars but still on 8

carlday1 :

What temperature is the fridge set at? It should be 4C as default,

I think there is a problem with the temperature sensing in the fridge but the fridge should be displaying an error code if it was serious, is the freezer setting ok.

Customer:

yes that has stayed on -22

carlday1 :

Is the freezer set for -22? What is the fridge set too is it 4C?

carlday1 :

Can you press the set button for 10 secs to put the fridge into self diagnoses mode, hopefully this will let me know if the fridge has any faults that it can report.

Customer:

ye frridge set for 22 thats fine

Customer:

ye freezer set for 22 thats fine

Customer:

is that the square button between the up down buttons i guess it must be

carlday1 :

yeah the middle button between the arrows

Customer:

ok hold for 10 seconds ye

carlday1 :

yeah 10 seconds

Customer:

it shows H and no 34

carlday1 :

I am afraid it is not good news the error code means

H34 Refrigerating unit has trouble (3-Way
Valve has trouble)

It could be the Control PCB or the 3-Way valve.

carlday1 :

The control board is available here I am afraid it is quite expensive

http://www.buyspares.co.uk/fridge-freezer/nr-b53v1-xb/electronic-control/product.pl?pid=3938513&shop=panasonic&path=297898&model_ref=968848

I would advise to get a fridge engineer out to visit it and quote for repair if it is the 3 way valve you may need to empty the refrigerant to change the valve.

Customer:

Oh Shit

carlday1 :

I cannot even suggest which is the most likely to have broke. Have you got any insurance that might cover the cost of repair?

Customer:

how about home insurance

carlday1 :

You would need to check the policy my home insurance does cover things like accidental damage and breakdown of appliances.

carlday1 :

It would be worth contacting them to ask

Customer:

ok mate thanks

carlday1 :

I am sorry I cannot help more, if you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

Customer:

Thanks will it cost

carlday1 :

It will cost you each time you post a new question and rate an answer, you do not pay until you rate an answer, if you are not happy with an answer you can request a refund.

Customer:

can we leave this open for a bit so i can tell u whats happening ?

carlday1 :

Yeah thats fine

Customer:

thanks a lot

carlday1, Engineer
Experience: Self Employed Electronic Engineer