Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I was staying with my son at the weekend who has a Samsung

I was staying with my son at the weekend who has a Samsung 37" flatscreen tv and he said he has never been able to find an off switch! We did find a standby switch but surely there must be a switch that one can use to turn it right off if required.The surround is black plastic which is where we found the standby switch.If you require the model number I will have to contact him and get back to you, however if you can advise anyway it would be appreciated.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Can you please get me the model number written on back of your TV?

This info will help to check the related manuals.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will find out the model number from my son later and get back to you Ray

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
No problem Ray, take your time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right I have found out the model number of the Samsung,on the back is model code LE37R88BDX/XEU and the model is LE37R88BD. Ray

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the TV model info.
This TV doesn't have main power switch and when the power cord plugs in wall socket, standby power section turns On and TV stays in power Off/Standby mode until power button on TV or its remote control pushed. TV doesn't consume much power in standby mode so may that is the reason that Samsung didn't put main power switch in design.

Please switch Off/ unplug power cord from wall outlet if you want to switch Off TV for longer time/ few days etc.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face under the answer then click submit button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Shahid very much,I think there should be an off switch as with the nest of wires behind tvs these days and difficult to reach wall outlet likelihood is people go on holiday leaving tvs on standby with possible fire risk.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
I understand and agree, you can unplug power cord from back of TV if its difficult to reach to wall outlet.
I would recommend to use power stripe to plug power cord of TV and other video devices connected to it that usually has power switch as well.