*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

I have HP Photosmart Plus Printer/Scanner/Copier Model B210b There

I have HP Photosmart Plus Printer/Scanner/Copier Model B210b
There has been an accumulation of ink near the parking ares of the print heads. to get access for cleaning I would like to remove the hinged lid and top cover.
Can you advise?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is***** will assist you.
You can remove the printhead to clean>
Please follow these steps>
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.

2. Open the cartridge access door.

3. To remove each cartridge, press the tab on the front of the cartridge to release it and remove it from the slot.

Figure 3: Remove the cartridge

Remove the cartridge from the printhead
    CAUTION: Do not leave the cartridges outside the product longer than 30 minutes. Doing so can result in damage to both the product and the cartridges.
  4. Lift the latch handle on the carriage until it stops.

Figure 4: Lift the latch handle

Lift the carriage latch handle
  5. Lift the printhead straight up to remove it.

Figure 5: Remove the printhead

Lift the printhead straight up to remove it

Step two: Clean the electrical contacts

There are three areas of the printhead that need to be cleaned: the plastic ramps on both sides of the ink nozzles, the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts, and the electrical contacts. Follow these steps to clean the printhead.

Figure 6: Three areas to clean

The three areas on the printhead to clean
1 - Plastic ramp on the side of the ink nozzles
2 - The edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts
3 - The electrical contacts
CAUTION: Do not touch the ink nozzles. Do not touch the electrical contacts with your finger. Use only cleaning materials to touch the electrical contact areas.

Figure 7: Do not touch the electrical contacts

Do not touch the electrical contacts
  1. Gather the following cleaning materials:

• Several clean, lint-free cloths or papers. Coffee filters and glass-cleaning cloths work well.

• Distilled or bottled water. Do not use tap water, because it can contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.

2. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth.

3. Use the damp cloth to wipe the electrical contacts from the bottom to the top. Do not go past the edge between the electrical contacts and the ink nozzles. Repeat this motion until no ink remains on the electrical contacts.

Figure 8: Clean the electrical contacts

Clean the electrical contacts
  4. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe any accumulated ink and debris from the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts.

Figure 9: Clean the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts

Clean the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts
  5. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe the plastic ramps on both sides of the ink nozzles. Wipe away from the nozzles only.

Figure 10: Clean the ramps

Clean the ramps
  6. Dry the previously cleaned areas with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth before proceeding to the next step.

7. Lightly dampen a fresh, clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water.

8. Clean the electrical contacts inside the product by wiping them from top to bottom. Repeat this motion until no ink remains on the electrical contacts.

Figure 11: Clean the electrical contacts inside the product

Clean the electrical contacts inside the product
  9. Dry the area with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth.

Step three: Reinstall the printhead

1. Raise the latch handle, and then reinsert the printhead. Press it down lightly to ensure that it is properly seated.

Figure 12: Insert the printhead

Reinsert the printhead
  2. Carefully lower the latch handle before reinserting the cartridges.

NOTE: Leaving the latch handle raised can result in incorrectly seated cartridges and printing issues. The latch must remain down to install the cartridges correctly.

Figure 13: Lower the latch handle

Lower the latch handle
  3. Using the colored shape icons for help, slide the cartridges into their appropriate slots until they snap firmly into place in the slot.

Figure 14: Slide the cartridge into the slot

Slide the cartridge into its slot

Figure 15: Snap the cartridge into place

Snap the cartridge into place
  4. Close the cartridge access door.

Step four: Clean the printhead

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. On the product control panel, touch the Setup icon ( ), and then touch Tools .

3. Touch Clean Printhead .

NOTE: Mechanical noises during the cleaning process are normal. A test page prints when the cleaning process finishes.
  4. If the test page is streaked or missing colors, repeat the cleaning.

Step five: Align the printer

1. Load letter or A4, unused, plain white paper into the tray.

2. Turn the printer off and back on.

3. If the printer does not begin to print an alignment page, touch the Setup icon ( ), and then touch Tools .

4. Touch Align Printer .

5. After the alignment page prints, click OK , and then close the toolbox window

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Randy

Have done all that but it is the area under the parking area at the right side of the machine that I want access to by removing the hinged lid and cover.

The area under there has a lot of sludge etc and I wish to clean it out

Thanks in advance

John

Disassembling the printer is relatively simple, and involving only one screw being removed and some cables being unplugged.

Tools needed> T9 Torx Screwdriver
8" Needle Nose Plier
Spudger
Image #1

Edit Step 1 Printer Hood Assembly

• To begin removing the printer's hood, open the printer's mouth by simply pulling down on it; there are 2 mouth pieces that need to be pulled down.

• Adjust the flap covering the scanner upward. When you are finished, the printer should appear as shown.

Image #1

Edit Step 2

• Remove the flap for the scanner. The flap is attached by a clip that can be dislodged by pulling lightly away from the printer.

Image #1

Edit Step 3

• Locate the three screws on top of the printer.

Image #1 Image #2 Image #3

Edit Step 4

• Remove the three screws from the top of the printer with a T-9 screwdriver as shown.

• The screws are located in the far-left, far-right, and near-right corners of the printer, with respect to viewing from the front.

Image #1 Image #2

Edit Step 5

• To access and remove the final screw attaching the hood of the printer, the face for the power button needs to first be removed as follows:

• Reach into the mouth of the printer and press on the small clip behind the power button. This will enable the face of the power button to be removed.

• A picture of the power button removed is provided to show the location of the clip that needs to be pressed.

• After pressing the clip, pull out the face of the power button: right side to left side.

Image #1 Image #2

Edit Step 6

• Remove the exposed screw that was covered by the power button face.

• This screw is placed awkwardly. We found holding a T9 bit in a pair of needle nose pliers gave us enough leverage to remove it.

• Do not try and torque the screw from an angle. This will ruin the screw's head, and make it even more difficult to remove the screw. Only remove it as already described.

Image #1 Image #2 Image #3

Edit Step 7

• This step is easier with two people. Carefully have one person lift the hood of the printer 2-3 inches above where it was resting.

• The second person will now remove the ribbon cables and wires attaching the motherboard (the only green PCB board) to the hood by gently pulling upward on them.

• When all three cables are removed, lift the hood away from the printer and set it aside.

Image #1 Image #2 Image #3

Edit Step 8 Printer Hood

• After being separated from the printer, the hood is ready to be disassembled.

• Remove the only screw on the printer hood's underside, as shown. Use a T-9 screwdriver.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You don't show the same model printer that I have.

I have HP model B210a Product No CN216B

There does not appear to be any drop down tongue

My touch screen is in the centre part of the scanner lid

John

okay, the side cover comes off on that model. Try that and see if it will give you the access that you need.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me how it comes off.

I shall try again in the morning as I am on UK time

John

Ok, I will upload that for you tonight.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did not get your upload

So I still have not been able to get side cover off. I am reluctant to use force as plastic lugs are notorious for breaking.

Have been able to clean out a substantial amount og coagulated ink but access to more would be useful

John

Sorry about that. I will check and see what happened to that upload. I will get back to you asap. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK

John

Your welcome!
I found a great detailed teardown video. Audio is not in english but very detailed.
>please click here for video<