Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Sony RCD w100 CD recorder. It keeps coming up with

Customer Question

I have a Sony RCD w100 CD recorder. It keeps coming up with a C13 error when it's PMA Writing. I assume it's an electronic gizmo fault so I would like to know if it can be repaired anywhere near Portsmouth.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- How old is the recorder and how long it have had the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know how old it is, it was used when I bought it about 3 years ago. I have not been able to successfully write a CD for about 1 month. The machine has gradually got worse over time, sometimes I could record, sometimes not, to the point now when it will not successfully record a CD. As an example, after I posted this yesterday, I tried again and it seemed to work, telling me I had 1 track on the CD. When I tried to play the track it could not read the TOC so would not play. When I tried it on a PC it was blank (0 bytes).

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, have you tried to clean the optical lens of recorder with lens cleaning disc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, but I'll get one and try it.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please reply back how the lens cleaning goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I tried a lens cleaner from a reputable electronics store and followed the instructions and it seemed to work. I then tried recording a track and it seemed to work, as in I didn't get any error messages. But on playback the sound was very "stuttery" like it was jumping around, so I tried the cleaner again. This time the Sony system would not follow the instructions (I was told to move to track 2 to listen to English instructions and then forward to track 9 to clean the heads.). I can move the system to track 9 but it doesn't do anything and just stops. I tried a couple more times and now it won't even play track 1. I think I have a serious electrical fault. What do you think?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Rowland,
C13 error code indicates dusty disc or dusty/ clogged laser lens in this machine. Since lens cleaning disc didn't work so it seems you need to take apart the recorder to clean the lens of both decks with good quality cotton bud or q-tip etc.
If you are not comfortable working on this recorder yourself then local technician will do this for you and hopefully the lens cleaning will resolve the problem.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face under the answer then click submit button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the manual it says a C13 error is caused by vibration or a dirty disk with oil or fingermarks on it or the disk is not normal. I'm using CD/R or CD/RW disks, both of which give me this error. I've now had the case off and cleaned the lens with a Q-tip and cleaning liquid and tried again. Same thing happened, the track seemed to record ok until I pressed stop and in PMA Writing it came up with a C13 error

Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
If the lens cleaning didn't work then it seems failure of optical block.
I agree C13 error appears due to vibration or a dirty disk with oil or fingermarks on it or the disk is not normal, and if you notice the manufacturer never admits that their product can have internal fault for this error code, now all these discs are brand new and have no oil or fingermarks then what is left to blame?
I hope the recorder is on steady place so no vibration.
Laser diode in optical block becomes weak after a long time service and it is quite normal thus unit doesn't get sufficient signal to read out the data and start giving C13 error.
It seems recorder needs new optical block that will resolve the problem, required optical block part number is ***** follows;
8-583-104-01 OPTICAL PICK-UP (KRM-220CAA)
Does the CD player section play a regular audio CD fine?