Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Our Toshiba 32 inch flat screen TV just makes a click sound

Customer Question

Our Toshiba 32 inch flat screen TV just makes a click sound then the sound goes and we have to switch the TV off then back on again.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- Does TV screen show any light/ display then shuts Off?
- Does TV turn On itself or stays Off?
- How old is the and how long it have had the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

32bv51b.

No. It just makes a click sound then the sound goes, picture is fine, so we just switch it off then back on again and HDMI comes up, then it is fine for at least 10 minutes then it goes again. Been happening now for at least a week. Had TV three years this year.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
- What video devices (satellite box, dvd player etc) are connected to this TV and do you get no-sound in TV speakers regardless of what video source is being played?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You view box and a Toshiba DVD player. We don't use DVD player. All sound great, apart from it clicking then sound goes etc.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, can you try the DVD player now as a sound test to see if sound goes out or stays?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Don't have DVD channel on TV. We had BT infinity put in last December with WiFi.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
You can connect Toshiba DVD player in AV input of TV with yellow-red-white AV cable, select correct input in TV to get its picture and sound, it will help to diagnose the problem.
If still can't hook the DVD player to TV then have you tried to unplug TV and youview box power cords from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, turn them On and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply with the results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just switched it back on after unplugging for ten minutes, so far, so good, but it has only been five minutes.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, take your time and keep checking the sound.
Please reply back how it goes after 15 minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
I'll be waiting the info.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

TV has been on now for half an hour and has just gone again.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, now we really need another video source to connect to the TV to narrow down the issue to see if the problem is with in TV or youview box is losing the sound internally.
Please connect a DVD player to TV, play a disc and check the sound in TV and reply back how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How much would it cost for somebody to call out because we don't really know what we are doing etc.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'll try to explain it as possible as I can.
As I mentioned, we have two things connected, youview box that sends video and audio signals to TV and TV itself that process that signal.
Now if youview box is causing the sound failure after some time then a new box will resolve the problem and we can figure it out easily by connecting another video source to TV, if TV don't lose sound with it then the TV is fine and new youview box will resolve the problem.
And if TV lose the sound with a DVD player as well then it is internal failure of TV and most probably the sound processor chip on main board is causing the problem, at this point I would suggest to update TV firmware (internal software) which can be downloaded from following link along with the detailed instruction file that might help to resolve the problem...
http://www.dl.toshiba.com/dtv/NA/GB/EN/32BV512B.html
And if it still doesn't help then the main board in TV will be replaced to resolve the problem and you can expect 100 plus Pounds repair cost from local TV repair shop.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face under the answer then click submit button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!
Please reply back here if there is additional questions.