JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

Hi i was wondering if you might be able to help me with a problem/question

Customer Question

Hi i was wondering if you might be able to help me with a problem/question about a RCD ADAPTOR Part NO:RCDAWC when i plug the RCD adaptor in to my wall and test it like it says to on the unit it tests fine but if what i have plunged in to it fails the RCD clicks off as well as my hole house trips out, I thought just the RCD plug was meant to trip off not the whole house Am i doing something wrong
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Could you let me know if the what is written on the trip in your fuseboard that trips? Does it have something like 100mA written on it?

Customer:

Customer:

Hi Do you mean on my RCD plug or my main house consumer box

carlday1 :

The main consumer box, I think that what is in the main box is a time delayed RCD

Customer:

ok ill have a look at my main house rcd and tell you what it says but in the mean time my RCD plug says DOUBLE POLE CONTACT BREAK MAX LOAD 3120W TRIP SPEED 30MS RATED TRIP CURRENT 30MA

Customer:

hi i cheeked my consumer box of my house and it does not say anything regarding time delay

carlday1 :

Could you send me a photograph?

What I think is that the main isolater for the house is a RCD and that is triping as it should when there is a fault.

What happens when you plug the appliance that trips the plug in RCD directly into the socket?

I think that the plug top RCD is not needed, because I think the house has RCD protection already on the sockets and thats why both trip at the same time.

Customer:

were do i attavh the puctures to

carlday1 :

Do you have a paperclip on you chat screen?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

that's our main house Consumer RCD

carlday1 :

Thank you the main switch is a 30mA RCD that will trip as fast as the plug in RCD. The plug in RCD is not needed because if you have a leakage fault the RCD in the consumer will trip.

Customer:

so whats the point in this one

Full Size Image

carlday1 :

You don't need that one, it has no real benefit as it is likely to trip at the same time as the one in the main consumer unit.

Customer:

is there anyway to stop my main one tripping out so fast

carlday1 :

Sorry no, the regulations state you must have 30ma RCD protection on all sockets your rcd is protecting the whole house. You could get a new consumer board fitted and the electrician should be able to fit a 30ma RCD to protect the sockets and maybe a 100mA rcd to protect the whole house but that would not stop it tripping it would just stop it affecting the whole house when it trips.

Customer:

can i ask another quick thing regarding consumer boxes

Customer:

I Have a pool heater were would i run it from as its runs just over 3KW

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
You may not need a new consumer unit if you want to move the circuit off the house RCD. If its an external plug socket and has its own direct feed you could buy a RCBO and connect it directly to that and bypass the main house one.
Again you should find someone part P registered but there are alot of you tube video's online regarding how to install a RCBO which will explain what is needed so when you contact 'a professional' you can explain what your after.
In terms of a 3KW heater, thats about 13A. Its always advisable to run anything like that directly from the fuse box and put it on its own RCBO, that way you can isolate it directly, and should you want to upgrade it later on down the line you can increase the fuse, the same goes for finding suitable cable, always go with a larger cable size (eg 2.5mm) which is more than you need, to give you room for expansion.
You can pick up armored cable from screw fix for under £50 for 25M.
If you have a pool I am guessing you have a plant room so you might already have a 'outbuilding' circuit from your fuse box which you can use, you just need to check what the supply can handle, as you dont want to be using 1.5mm cable from the fuse box to the outbuilding, for anything more than 15A.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.

Hi I just wanted to see if I could be any more assistance, if not would appeciate if you could rate my response, so I can close this case.

J

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.

Hi I havent heard back from you I would appreciate if you could rate the service you have recieved from me, and let me know if there is anything else I can assit with.