Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Nikon D60 is producing arbitrary highly coloured streaks on

Customer Question

Nikon D60 is producing arbitrary highly coloured streaks on some images
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to the site! I'm Dan.

Please upload a few of the pictures so I can have a look. You can use any sharing site that you'd like.

Dan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan

A selection of images are attached. Hope that the urls work properly (They're on imageshack.)

Michael

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
Interesting. I've never seen anything like this before.

On this image, there is a superimposed image of a man wearing a suit (in the green area)... although I don't believe he is in the actual photo.

Is there a photo on the camera of that man wearing the suit?
graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - basically there's around 400 images all taken of my in-laws' party. In this particular image the guy in the striped jacket - who, oddly, appears left and right, is my brother-in-law, the centre is my son. Their hair (top section) is correspondingly correct, but apart from anything else, my brother-in-law appearing twice is rather odd. Does this explanation of the image make sense?

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that makes sense. Do they look the same if you view them on the camera's LCD? Or just after transferring to your PC?

Dan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's a very good question! I believe that it's on transferring them, but I couldn't be 100% sure (and I don't have access to the card or the camera at the moment. I checked today on his iPhoto account and it seems that a number of other images (from other sessions) were similarly "corrupted", although from memory none of those errors took up the whole frame; it seems to have got progressively worse with this particular session.

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.

We'll really need to know if this is being caused by the camera, or something else that happens during transfer. The best way to make that determination is to look at the pictures on the camera's own LCD.

If you want to get back to me later, that would be fine. I'll be on and off throughout the day.

Dan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dan - unfortunately I am not going to have access to the camera today, but my wife is over there at the moment (at my in laws) so I could ask her to check with the card in the camera. However, it may not be possible to get an answer today. Just for reference (as I happen to have a backup upload on my iPhoto account) here's a screenshot of some of the photos to give you an idea of the frequency of this happening.

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** let's have your wife check for us. Get back to me whenever you can, today or tomorrow is fine.

Dan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dan - I'm literally on the case now... in fact I have just been told that they do look the same on the LCD of the camera...

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
OK. I've looked through the service information on the D60 and gone over as many service requests as I could find... but I see nothing like you're seeing here. It's not the CCD/sensor since it's so random, but I just can't find any other good causes.

I've opted out, and hopefully we've provided enough info so someone can figure this out for you. If someone responds, you'll be notified.

Dan

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Have you tried to format memory card in camera as it seems memory card going to be failed?
(format will delete all files/ pictures in memory card so must have back up before formatting).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't yet tried that Shahid as it is my father in law's camera (and I am just trying to help him out). I guess that we could try that - or even that I lend him one of my cards and shoot a series of test shots and see what happens.

I have a back-up (as does he) of the images - so that shouldn't present a problem I'm unlikely to be able to get to do this today however, as I won't be seeing him again today. Is it possible that I could try this in the next 24 hours or so and then get back to you?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
No problem, take your time and I would suggest to try another memory card in camera as well.
I have seen such problem due to corrupted/ failing memory card and format the card usually works.
Please reply back how it goes for this camera.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!
Please reply back here if there is additional questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shahid

Sorry - have been incredibly busy and then at short notice had to go to the other end of the country (where I am now). Not going to her able to deal with it until Friday at the earliest.

Michael

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael,
No problem, please take your time.
Shahid.