JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

Why has my Samsung CE0168 Model SM 7310 tablet suddenly stopped

Why has my Samsung CE0168 Model SM 7310 tablet suddenly stopped receiving emails (they still go to the laptop). I can still send emails from my tablet.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi, are you using BTInternet as a mail provider?

Customer:

No, TalkTalk. Two weeks ago I was able to send/receive emails on my tablet (and on family laptop). Now3 I can send emails from tablet but NOT receive them.

JamesInch :

Ok but you can still receive e-mails on your laptop

Customer:

Yes.

JamesInch :

Ok, are you familiar wioth your tablet, if so can you confirm what POP3\incomming mail server settings you have

Customer:

Oh dear !!! Were do I find that?

JamesInch :

Let me check the manual :-)

JamesInch :

I cant find your tablet on the samsung website

Customer:

Samsung CE0168, model SM-7310

JamesInch :

Is it a samsung Galaxy Tab?

Customer:

Samsung Galaxy Tab3

JamesInch :

right, their website doesnt list them down as the model above, thats should help thanks

Customer:

POP3 mail.talktalk.net - Port 110

JamesInch :

Ok, what is the e-mail check frequency set to

Customer:

LOL ...... where do I find that?

JamesInch :

That should be on one of the account settings where the pop3 setting was

JamesInch :

Right, under the e-mail settings

JamesInch :

Under data usage heading

JamesInch :

is Sync e-mail checked

JamesInch :

Then click sync scheudle and let me know what is set

Customer:

Cant find that

JamesInch :

Right under e-mail, press menu then settings

JamesInch :

On the left should be your TalkTalk account?

Customer:

!!!! on the same page as POP3 setting shows the following : Username/Password/POP3 server/Security type/Port/Delete email from server

Customer:

Sync email is "ticked"

JamesInch :

ok

JamesInch :

Im guessing the software version may be different to the one in my manual but not to worry

JamesInch :

Can you see sync schedule?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

!!!

JamesInch :

Right what is the sync schedule set to

JamesInch :

Sorry about the delay, there appears to be a lag in me seeing your messages

Customer:

every 15 minutes !!!!!!!

JamesInch :

Right so thats looking correct, ok let me go and check some of the other settings

Customer:

There is also a peak schedule set up ..... is that right?

JamesInch :

Thats fine, as long as they are turned it should work

JamesInch :

its going to take a while as I need to talk to talk talk, so will come back to you alter regarding this.

Customer:

how can I find out?

Customer:

OK, catch up later

JamesInch :

Right

JamesInch :

It appears your using POP3 all these settings look correct but the talk talk support pages suggest IMAP should be used where possible.
The best thing I can recommend is that we create a new account from start to finish, and once we have that sending and receiving we then delete the account which isnt working.

JamesInch :

To setup a new account from email, click settings

JamesInch :

Then touch "add account" at the top, enter your e-mail username and password.
Then touch "Manual Setup" followed by "IMAP Account"

JamesInch :

For server use mail.talktalk.net
Port: 143

JamesInch :

Has that worked?

Customer:

Unfortunately, no. Says "unable to connect to server".

Customer:

I don't want to change my existing email address, merely want it to receive emails like it was doing a few weeks ago.

JamesInch :

You should need to change your existing e-mail address, by setting up a new account but with the same credentials it will validate that there is a issue at TalkTalk's end

JamesInch :

Since your using the settings as per their website, and it maybe they have changed their policy to restrict tablets connecting etc

JamesInch :

So I am clear, you created a new account on the tablet using the same setting as above, and using the same e-mail and its still giving you the error?

Customer:

Yes, James. Says cannot connect to server AND email address already in use.

JamesInch :

Ah, thats a new one, it may be worth going into the existing account which isnt working and just put the number 1 in front of the e-mail address and save it, then try and create the account again. If the new account works I would delete the old one and use the new one, if it doesnt work let me know what error message you get, and ill see if I can make any sense of it and liaise with TalkTalk and save you hitting your head against a brick wall

Customer:

Nothing is happening. When I tried to set up a new email address I got "Authentication failed". (Not quite got to the head banging stage yet !!!!). When I "add" email address, it is not saving/showing up.

JamesInch :

Ok may be a stupid question but the username your using are you able to login to talktalk webmail using it?

JamesInch :

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail/?check_cookie=1

JamesInch :

The only other thing which comes to mind is have you ticked the option for secure \ encrypted connection.

JamesInch :

Was this ever working or have you only been able to receive from your laptop

Customer:

OMG ... where do I find that connection?????

Customer:

Up until a couple of weeks ago I COULD receive emails on my tablet.

JamesInch :

This is where it gets tricky as your version is different to what I am seeing net me have a look and see if I can point you in the right direction, I would ahve thought it should have come up on the page when you clicked manual setup

JamesInch :

Thats what makes me think its a Talk Talk setting.

JamesInch :

As these settings aren easily changed (in error) as they are hidden away

Customer:

Doesn't come under "manual setting", only username/password/IMAP server/security type/port/IMAP path prefix !!!! Or do I have to check on the laptop email settings (I am not thick, just OLD)

Customer:

Couldn't see anything on laptop re. secure/encrypted connection

JamesInch :

I think on the tablet it may be named security type, does it say SSL

JamesInch :

This is the hard thing with tablets I cant remotly get on them to see what you see

Customer:

No, but I can change it to SSL if need be OR SSL (all certificates)

JamesInch :

set it to SSL initially and see if that fixes it

JamesInch :

This might help you the talk talk help pages give a user guide here

JamesInch :

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/guided-assist/how-do-i-set-my-email

JamesInch :

Select Setting up email on my smartphone/tablet

JamesInch :

Choose the domain your e-mail belongs to eg talktalk.net

JamesInch :

Select android OS

JamesInch :

I do feel though from what you have told me all the settings are correct

JamesInch :

The fact we even tried using IMAP rather than POP3 and its still not working seems suspisous

JamesInch :

One check which would probably help is checking when you login to webmail you can see e-mail, as your home pc might be downloading them from the server and storing them locally if setup with POP3 rather than IMAP.

Customer:

Well, what do you know - IT WORKED, you are a genius. Thank you for all your help and patience BUT is there anyway I can retrieve all my emails from my old account?

JamesI, Technician
Experience: I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.