JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

Trying to use Polaroid 3-40-LED-14 Smart TV. I have connected

Customer Question

Trying to use Polaroid 3-40-LED-14 Smart TV. I have connected WiFi to modem. TV settings shows Connected and correct hub with 3 bars of signal and speed of circa 1000kb/s but when internet portal button is pressed, screen reads "There is an error on page no response from server. Try again."
This is a replacement TV having swapped it on advice of the helpline after an hour long telephone call when first TV had exactly had exactly same problem. Many restarts, first time installations tried and ethernet cable connection.
Any advice please.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi, just so I am clear does the issue still occur when using Ethernet, or is this only a WIFI issue?

My guess is this is a router config issue, can you please go into the TV network settings and advise what IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS servers are listed.

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Same problem wifi and with ethernet cable.

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

IP address: 192.168.1.187, Subnet: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.1.254, DNS server1: 192.168.1.254

JamesInch :

ok, they look valid.

JamesInch :

I would look at setting a static IP address and use the following:

JamesInch :

IP: 192.168.1.245
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gate: 192.168.1..254
DNS: 8.8.8.8

Once you have set these, leave the TV on, and restart your router.

Wait for the internet to start working on your laptop then see if the TV works

JamesInch :

What we are doing is removing the possibility that its your router which is struggling, as it maybe the DNS or DHCP causing the issue.

JamesInch :

Please let me know when your back online and if the change above has worked?

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Finally managed to do as suggested. Could only use IP: 192.168.001.245 and DNS: 008.008.008.008.

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Remote doesn't allow enrtry of single numbers when changing settings. Assume OK. Having restarted router, pressing internet portal the TV screen now shows a Redirection Status with URL redirected to a vast list of numbers.

JamesInch :

Ok so there wasnt an option to define the gateway?

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

No unfortunately

JamesInch :

Ok are you able to give me a little more info as to what the page says, you said it has numbers listed?

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

the URL was redirected to /?org_url=http://portal-tv.com?org_url=http://portal-tv.com%2f%3forg%5furl%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fportal%2dtv%2ecom? and so on and on for many lines.

JamesInch :

Right, can you please try and navigate to google.com and advise if this loads

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Its a Smart TV with with an internet portal button. There's no other way of getting to the internet on it.

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

The internet portal button is what gets the redirect screen.

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

There are also Netflix and You Tune buttons which, until I changed the settings, got to registration and menu screens which I didn't go past. Now thing when pressed.

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Sorry should have typed You Tube

JamesInch :

Sorry what happens you you press the netflix and you tube buttons now we changed teh settings?

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Netflix: Red screen then log in but not able to enter anything. You Tube: Loading symbol on blank black screen for some minutes then back to TV programme.

JamesInch :

Ok is this an improvement, the same or worse before we made the changes?

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Worse I'd say

JamesInch :

Ok I would change it back then, and let me know if your still at a loss once we set the settings back to Dynamic, and ill try and speak witht eh technical department of Polaroid tomorrow

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

OK

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Turned on again - pretty much as I started. Internet portal button results in message "There is an error on page no response from server. Please try again." Netflix button: Start page offering sign in or sign up. You Tube button: Menu showing showing latest most popular videos. Work OK when selected if a little slow loading.

JamesInch :

Are you able to navigate to any other page or do you get the same error message each time?

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Can't get past error message. Returns to TV after a few seconds.

JamesInch :

One thing which has been bothering me was the number of IP's which your router seems to have assigned, being in the high end eg 192.168.2.185 etc doesnt sound right.

JamesInch :

I dont know if this is an option, but could you see if your neighbour or friend would let you connect to their wifi using the TV, it just rules out a compatibility issue with the router.

JamesInch :

I would also look to do a hard reset (factory reset of the TV), and then attempt to connect to WIFI and open up a webpage.

JamesInch :

I have spoken to tech support and a firmware upgrade was recommended but cant see that fixing the issue.
Its unlikely to be the TV but with it being a low end device there is very little left we can try other than rule out and issue with your router.

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

Where did you get 192.168.2.185 from? Only neighbour who could help is away at the moment. I've already done all the resets I was asked to do by the helpline. What is a factory reset compared to first time installation? Can't see how to do that.

JamesInch :

If you have already done a reset with the help desk that is the same thing as a factory rest, its just a factory reset is just a generic term

JamesInch :

Sorry it was ..185 it was 192.168.1.187 that the router gave the TV when on Dynmaic

JamesInch :

*wasnt

JamesInch :

So that would suggest there have been 186 different devices connected to it since its last reboot

JamesInch :

Unless for some reason the router is set to start giving out IP from 180 onwards for example

JamesInch :

I also cant find the manual on the Asda website which is strange, this issue is most confusing but probably not helped with the useless error messages your getting which dont even indicate if its a network, server or hardware fault

JACUSTOMER-2bejcbvg- :

I don't understand the number of devices comment but assume it must be starting from 180 since its less than 12 months old and has only had family laptops and mobiles connected to it. We aren't getting anywhere are we? I know you've tried very hard and spent a lot of time but I just think taking the set back is the only option. I originally googled Polaroid Smart TV connection problems and got Ask a polaroid technician which I selected and brought me to you. Shall we call it a day? I'll call just answers and tell them about the effort you've put in.

JamesInch :

I am afraid I cant diagnose the fault, the comments around the IP addresses give an indication how busy the router is and often more than 10 concurrent connections end up giving devices issues as the router doesnt respond in time and hence you get time out messages etc. However I am confident I could spend many hours going back and forth and still not get anywhere and the interest of both our times would suggest returning the unit and getting a different brand wil serve you better.

sorry I couldnt help in this instance