Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a 55UH8500. Its a few months old & keeps switching

Customer Question

I have a 55UH8500. It's a few months old & keeps switching on & off. It done this when I first got it & I received a new one connect box as I was told that was the problem. Now after having my 2nd one connect box it's doing it again!! When the one connect box is NOT connected the TV stays on!!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

That looks like it's MORE designed for the UHD TV sets, like the 9000 and S9 series. The UH8500 series isn't mentioned as being part of that series. So WHO told you it's compatible, or what site lists it??

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SEK-2500U/ZA

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Well the UH8500 is a UHD TV. On the back of the one connect box it also indicates use for model UH8500.
The company I bought the TV from said the fault will be with the one connect box & not the TV itself. That's why they sent me a new one connect box which has worked fine. (don't think they are experts though) When the one connect box is NOT connected the TV stays on with the picture indicating to connect it. As soon as I do the TV just turns off & on repeatedly!
Hope that helps.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, I noticed it's UHD, but I'm still researching to see if this model was built to work with the One Connect...initially, if there is any compatibility issues, they should be resolved by a firmware or software update. But if the 8500 wasn't designed around the One Connect...it's not going to have any updates that match it to the one connect.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

I just found this -

Is it possible the model is different? Did you buy this in the UK, because that's where I saw this? We have to be sure of the model and the country it was purchased at.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am in the UK.
The TV is of the wall now & the correct model number is ***** Yes your right I've got my uh & hu mixed up. (sorry)
The model number on the one connect box is exactly the same.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, there IS a firmware update dated AUG 2014 for your model. We should always start with downloading the updates and applying it to your TV using a USB stick. For now, you want to disconnect the box so it doesn't interfere with the update. Look near the Download section of this page for that update, along with the instructions next to it. Follow the instructions.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55HU8500TXXU

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Decided to stay home & try to get this sorted.

I switched off my internet & that has solved the issue. (for now) Once the internet was off my TV stayed on allowing me to disconnect the internet from the TV. I then turned my internet back on & setup a new connection to the TV. I also checked the software & is was up to date as auto update was enabled.

So to conclude I think the problem was being caused by my internet connection & all seems to be working fine.

I now need to catch the wife & kids up and assure them they are more important than the TV!!! :-)

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Lee

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, if the internet was causing the TV to turn on and off, it could have been stuck trying to download newer software apps for your one connect box...but I find that odd that it would shut off the TV set to do that.