JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336
Electronics

I have a Samsung wireless HWH550 soundbar/subwoofer connected

to a Samsung UE55HU7500 smart... Show More
to a Samsung UE55HU7500 smart TV. Problems:- (1). sound distorted when playing music either through TV USB or multimedia connected wirelessly from computer when played thru the soundbar. Music plays fine when only using TV sound system (2). USB will not play when plugged directly into soundbar. Both the TV and the soundbar have been changed - same problems.
HELP!!
Category: Electronics
Show Less
JamesI, Technician
replied 2 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can better help you can you please answer the following questions;
Has this setup ever worked previously?
Is the sound bar connected via optical out from the TV?
When you talk about playing music from the computer wirelessly, is this between the soundbar and the computer or between the computer via the TV to the soundbar?

Customer:

No - Both TV and soundbar bought new and both recently exchanged when problem persisted.

Customer:

Soundbar as wireless connection with TV

Customer:

between the computer via the TV to the soundbar

JamesInch :

Ok, right I think you have two issues.

Firstly the USB not playing on the soundbar, does it play at all, if not this sounds like a compatibility issue is the music in MP3 format?

JamesInch :

So we can rule out bluetooth interference I would suggest you plug the sound bar into the TV using a fibre optic cable, using the optical out of the TV into the optical in on the sound bar.

If the distortion goes away this is most likely to be one of two issues bluetooth distortion (which can be caused by WIFI, Mobile or other RF signals), secondly it could be an audio processing issue, where the TV can process the information fast enough and then transmit over bluetooth.

JamesInch :

In terms of installation have you installed the Toroidal ferrite core on the mains cable?

Customer:

Music in M-peg 4 audio - soundbar does not read USB at all

JamesInch :

Ok, the manual does say some usb hardware devices are not support, however it doesnt say which ones are (which doesnt help).

JamesInch :

It may also be due to file system format on the USB, do you know if its formated with FAT16, FAT 32 or NTFS?

Customer:

FAT 32

JamesInch :

Ok, so its not the file system.

JamesInch :

It does sound like its a hardware compatibility issue, so not to save hours of wasted effort I would take the USB to the store you purchased it from and see if they can get it working. If it works on their demo one at least you know its a local setting issue.

Customer:

I need to speak to my supplier to obtain/fit fibre optic cable

JamesInch :

In terms of the distortion of music, that would seem the quickest way to rule out a bluetooth issue.

JamesInch :

If you have a phono cable you can use that plugging it into the aux in socket

Customer:

Toroidal ferrite core on the mains cable!!! - don't know would need to ask installation guys

JamesInch :

Its just a 'recommendation' in the manual, in my experience it doesn naff all but it is something Samsung would blame as a fault...

JamesInch :

The core is a 2 x 1 inch cylinder shape which sits on the outside of the cable.

Customer:

far to technical for me !!!!

JamesInch :

normally fitted close to the mains plug end.

JamesInch :

if you can see the mains lead you will soon see somethign bulky sitting around the cable, should look something like this.

Customer:

What i really need is a list of instructions that I can pass to the TV supplier/installer so that they can eliminate and finally solve this problem

JamesInch :

Do you have any HDMI leads going from the TV to the sound bar or is it all via bluetooth

JamesInch :

Ok ill do that now for you.

Customer:

The USB works OK through the TV sound system (not using the soundbar)

Customer:

As per my original question the problem only occurs when playing music through the TV using the sounbar

JamesInch :

Ok, but you also said you cant play music directly on the sound bar using usb though right?

Customer:

Correct - Therefore its pointless taking the USB back to to the store.

JamesInch :

1. Check Toroidal ferrite core installed on mains cables going to sound bar (as per manual)
2. Use a known good USB device (which works on a the same model in shop) to play MP3's on the sound bar.
A. If it works, copy the MP3 files on the existing USB which wont work on to the working USB, if this still works it rules out a DRM (copyright) or format compatibility issue, and the fault is with the USB hardware. If it doesnt work the files or format are not supported.
B. If it doesnt work perform a factory reset, and check the USB adapter, and any leads to and from the unit.
3. Turn off bluetooth, and use a fiber-optic cable between the TV and Soundbar.
A. If Multimedia and USB are now playing without issue, the problem relates to Bluetooth, it may be interference the distance between the device, in which case you need to find the source of interference, which may be a WIFI router, noisy mains supply\transformer, the best way to do this is to power off items until the fault clears.
B. If the fault is still present when using fiber, this is most likely a latency issue, which would be WIFI relates in terms of multimedia content from your PC, hardware related if USB or a digital signal processing issue if still present on both. If the fiber optic cable doesnt address the issue, then the files being played are to large for the TV to handle.

JamesInch :

I know you have the USB working on the TV, but its important to note the TV and Soundbar use different software (CODEC's) and if it works on one samung device it doesnt mean it will work on the other, hence testing the known good USB just rules out any issues with file formats and hardware.

Customer:

Define a good USB!

JamesInch :

A 'known good' USB is one which somone knows works on the same model, so I would get your engineer to test it out on a working soundbar before he attends.

JamesInch :

When it comes to why the issue only occurs when connected to the soundbar, ie you can play multimedia and usb fine via the TV disconnected from the sound bar, this does sound very likely to be a Bluetooth connectivity\signal issue, but there is also an additional step in the process which is the digital signal processor. So before you had the conversion from multimedia to sound, now you have multimedia, to bluetooth to sound (with the bluetooth > sound being done at the sound bar end), so if the files a large it may mean the multimedia > bluetooth processor isnt powerful enough.

JamesInch :

I hope this gives you all the fault finding steps you need to get your engineer to attend again, and confident this should uncover the fault and allow them to resolve the issue for you.

JamesInch :

Is there anything else I can help you with\clarify?

Customer:

no thankyou