adamd-mod
adamd-mod, Customer Service
Experience:  Just Answer Moderator
74353250

I have a regular LG home theatre, i just observed that the

Customer Question

I have a regular LG home theatre, i just observed that the sounds do not come from the speakers any more . However , there Is sound output from TV when connected with a HDMI cable. Please help
Category: Electronics
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Are you planning on doing the repair yourself? Are you using a surround audio system or only the tv speakers?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Yes i want to fix it myself. I said the audio stopped coming out from the surround speakers. Bit comes out from TV when i play dvd. At the moment i cannot Even listen to radio

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

It is an LG home theater

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Please can i get a response ? This is quite urgentemente

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

*urgent

canuck the pro :

Sorry for the delay. Is the mute setting on? Have you tried headphones?

canuck the pro :

When you turn the volume up do you hear any humming or any sound at all?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

The Mute is not on. There is no humming

canuck the pro :

Do you see on the front buttons labeled A and B?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Where ? The Remote ?

canuck the pro :

On the front of the receiver.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Let me explain again. The sound stopped coming out from the surround speakers. When i connect to tv vía HDMI cable, i get sound. But this sound can only be controlled By the tv volume as the home theater volume has no impactó Even when tuned up and down. Someone had said the sound is locked and can be unlocked using the Remote, but Ive not heared of such Before.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

No A or B button

canuck the pro :

Does the sound come out of the tv or the home theater?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

From the tv only

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

It used to also come from the home theater Before Now

canuck the pro :

What is the model number of the home theater? Is the volume on the home theater turned all the way down? What happens if you manually turn the volume up on the home theater?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

HT762TZ1- A2

canuck the pro :

What about when you adjust the volume manually on the home theater?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

The volume of the home thearter is up. Nothing happens to the sound from TV If home theatre volumen is increased or reduced

canuck the pro :

I am not able to find anything with that model number. Is the home theater also a radio tuner or are you listening to music through the tv also?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Its a dvd player, a radio tuner ,usb, aux etc

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Can i send you a picture of the system ?

canuck the pro :

Those are not separate components? Yes a picture would be good.

canuck the pro :

Especially of the face of the home theater.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

I Sent it to you vía email

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Responded to the mail you Sent to.me

canuck the pro :

The site sends the automated email but I do not know if that will get to me any time soon. Did you try using the paper clip icon or copy and paste it here?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Its easier to send mails

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Cant seem to attach here

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Can i send to another address

canuck the pro :

If you download the picture to your computer you should be able to attach it.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Ok. Let me log with my computer. Was chattn vía my phone

canuck the pro :

If you email it to yourself and then download it from your email it is easier than hooking your phone to the computer

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Home theatre
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

Did you copy and paste or use the paper clip icon? It did not work.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

got it ?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

sent in three pictures

canuck the pro :

The pictures did not come through. Did you use the paper clip icon to attach them or did you copy and paste?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

re pasting

canuck the pro :

try the paper clip please?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

howdoes that work ?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

im struggling to attach

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

the pictures are on my desk top saved in word format

canuck the pro :

I see....and I totally get it. What about if you save the pictures as a file....I am far from a computer machine expert.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

1. hhahahahh

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

ok

canuck the pro :

The site will likely eventually forward the pictures to me that you sent but it could be hours before they do. Try one more time and see what happens and if you are not able to attach them then I will post my email. I do not think that I am supposed to do that but would rather you be happy with the service.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

did this work ?

canuck the pro :

Nope not working.....***@******.***

canuck the pro :

are you able to see the email address?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

ive sent in the mail

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

pls confirm you have seen it

canuck the pro :

Viewing now. That was easy, eh?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

Yeah

canuck the pro :

If you push the volume button in does that activate the menu and settings?

canuck the pro :

I assume that you have checked that the speaker wires are still connected?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

the speaker wires are all connected

canuck the pro :

When you play a DVD do you get the sound of the DVD if the TV is on the DVD setting also?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

i get the sound from the tv speakers only

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

and tunning th evolume of the home theater does not have any impact on the audio from the tv

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

at normal operations,this should.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

someone said its an audio lock thing that can be fixed using the remote to put some codes, not heard that before , but it seems true cos i read up something like that on the net

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

pushing the volume does not bring up the menu.

canuck the pro :

That seems very strange. I have not heard of that. I am thinking more it is a setting that was accidentally activated. Nothing has changed since it operated properly? The tv was not moved or your mother in law try to use it or anything like that?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

no

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

i checked online and i saw a similar case

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

for LG

canuck the pro :

It likely has been damaged by a power surge. If you are sure that it is not just simply in the settings I would think that a capacitor is needing replacing internally. Does the remote still operate it? It just has no sound? I think it is very unlikely there is a code like that. The interweb doesn't always have the best information for sure.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

http://www.fixya.com/support/t399008-sound_problem_lg_lht754_theater_system

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

its not a power surge. always been on UPS

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

just read the case in the link i sent

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

that is exactly what has happened to mine

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

i think its a setting thing

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

if there was a way i could do a factory reset, i would have done it

canuck the pro :

Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes? If there is a problem that can be fixed with a reset that is the way to do it.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

yes. that means it is not a reset thing.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

two different people have said it is a sound lock that can be fixed using the remote

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

i know its not a problem with the hardware

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

did you read the link ?

canuck the pro :

It think that the issue is a little more than pushing some buttons. I would say that there is a capacitor that is blown. If it is no longer anywhere near being under warranty then do a little exploratory surgery if you are up to it. Capacitors used to be made in China and they were quite reliable. Then the technology was stolen and are mostly manufactured in another country (I forget which one), Now with any power surge they will blow out. It is simple to check them out with a visual inspection and if you can electronic solder they are very easy to replace.

canuck the pro :

I did read the link. Those kinds of directions are on tvs too, like unplug the tv and hold down the power button for two minutes then plug it in.

canuck the pro :

I will send you a picture of what a blown capacitor looks like.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

i opened it up and checked. The capacitors are in tact

canuck the pro :

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

The tops are perfectly flat and not bulging at all?

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

im actually and elecronic engineering graduate... so i do my preliminary investigations

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

yea

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

they are perfect

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

a technician at LG assured me that if he comes over to fix it, he will just need to work with the remote

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

that he has seen these kinda issues

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

but id rather not have him come over to my house

canuck the pro :

If that was the case then why could they direct you to do it over the phone?

canuck the pro :

I have never heard of that before at all. I will opt out and open the question to other experts and hopefully someone will have heard of that. Seems like if it was that simple they could just direct you how to though.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

appears he does not want me to know wha he does. he works with LG but does some private jobs

canuck the pro :

Seems a little fishy. I wouldn't want someone like that at my house either.

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

yes. thats why i chatted you, cos i thought i could be directed on how to fix it

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

please open it up - lets just have a conclusive answer, i dont mind changing the entire system, but I need to assure my wife that i tried

JACUSTOMER-09balehg- :

its 4yrs old, so its out of warranty

canuck the pro :

I will investigate further and opt out also. If I find something I will certainly opt back in.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi . try deactivating the TV speakers through the sound menu on TV .and activating external speakers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The tv speakers really do not have much to do with this as the machine sjhould have audio when the radio or any other input is selected.

Are the speakers connected to the back of the home theatre? And not from the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pls check this link. It is the exact problem i have. The speakers are connected to the home theater

Can you wire something else up to the speakers to confirm its not them somehow been overloaded and blown?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes i have tested the speakers with another machine. They are ok

Had a look at fixya. If the lg guy said he could sort it from the remote then its got to be a output route issue. Is there anything on a he remote that would relate to the output .or in the menu
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, nothing. Someone said its a sound lock issue that can be sorted Kelly the Remote to enter a few codes

Surely lg would give you this info? I would try them again. I'm sorry that I couldn't help . try lg again , you might get someone different. All the best. If you don't rate you won't have to pay .

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam