*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

we have a mg5550 printer and the print quality is terrible

Customer Question

we have a mg5550 printer and the print quality is terrible today - pixellated is what it looks like. i downloaded and installed the complete driver set to no avail
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 2 years ago.
My name is Randy, I will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
Do you have Windows Vista on your computer?

[[ Phenomenon ]]
Vertical lines may appear on printouts when photo printing is performed with My Image Garden.

The printouts should show no vertical lines like below.

[[ Environment ]]
Windows Vista SP1

[[Cause ]]
The OS (Windows Vista SP1) causes this problem.

[[ Workaround ]]
Upgrade Windows Vista Service Pack to SP2.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/learn-how-to-install-windows-vista-service-pack-2-sp2
.
.
.
.
.
Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
Please take a moment to rate my service positively.
Thank you very much!
.
.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 8. I just printed your answer and it is coming in black and white, and on horizontal format it is hardly legible and goes across the page in wavy lines.

okay, that sounds like the ink is low. Color ink may be consumed even when printing a black-and-white document or when black-and-white printing is specified. It is a common problem with this model when using windows 8.1 to not inform you that the ink is low.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

replaced cartridges and no difference. the black text looks pale, spatters and looks like text in a photo that is being printed too large. Apologies Randy, I have to go visit a neighbour and will be back in 1.5 hours. If you are not here can I talk to somoene else.[ It is my husbands computer and printer and I have networked one of my printers so he can print off his documents, but he would prefer to use his own rather than having to walk to my office and back!].

Only other idea I had was to roll back his computer using system restore and see if that would help.

no problem. Yes I will be here. Let me know when you return.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Willl do, thanks. Perhaps if I scan in one of the printed pages?? Anyway I will continue this later.

yes, if you could try another computer with it that would let you know if it is the printer or the operating system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now there is an idea. More later

sounds good