Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a Panasonic DMC-LX7 camera. Recently when I try to start

I have a Panasonic DMC-LX7 camera. Recently when I try to start the camera with the lens cap off the lens does not extend and i get the message 'remove lens cap and press any button. I cannot use the camera. What is wrong?
Pete :

Hi there

Pete :

What happens when you press the Shutter button?

Pete :

Does the message go away, or does it remain?

Pete :

If it does, then either the lens cap sensor is faulty, or something is restricting the lens from moving (e.g. a grain of sand).

Customer:

The message does not go away. Is there anything I can do or does it have to go to Panasonic repairs?

Pete :

You can try attaching and removing the lens cap several times

Pete :

This may help release the lens cap sensor if it is sticking.

Pete :

If that does not help, then there is likely wrong with the lens mechanism - all it takes is a tiny grain of sand to cause this, and it is a common problem after a trip to the beach.

Pete :

(a light breeze can easily carry sand upwards and into the camera's mechanisms)

Pete :

The camera would need to be disassembled to clean or repair the lens mechanism, and this will need to be done by a repair centre.

Pete :

You can contact Panasonic via these methods: http://www.panasonic.com/uk/contact-us.html

Hi Jan!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need any further assistance?

Let me know,

Pete :)