Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

My Kindle was on my bedside table, switched off. I did have

My Kindle was on my bedside table, switched off. I did have a couple of books there as well. I have now found the kindle withe screen on, and an image of a battery with practically no charge in it. I have tried on two different lap tops to charge it with the USB lead, but iy will not charge, and it will not respond to the off switch either. Is this the end of its short life?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question.
I'm Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Please note that electronics troubleshooting is not always easy and sometimes I will not be able to find solution for your problem immediately, so if my first answer does not resolve your problem or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD SERVICE or POOR SERVICE (that will result in a permanent negative feedback on my record - very damaging for me). Please use "Reply to Expert" button instead.
•ANSWER•
Sometimes your Kindle can be unresponsive (won't charge) and keep you from using the device properly (the most important reason for this issue can be glitch in the software). If there is no hardware issue on the device, some of the solutions below should resolve this issue.
Please follow the steps below to reset your device:
1. Press and hold (or slide and hold) the power button for exactly 35 seconds.
2. After 35 seconds, release the power button.
3. Wait 2 minute, then turn on your Kindle.
4. Test your Kindle (try to charge it).
Please try this procedure at least 3 times (if you have leather cover or any other cover remove it).
If the previous procedure doesn't work, perform the procedure below:
1. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power (slide and hold) button for 35 seconds.
3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the Kindle to reboot.
4. Test your Kindle (try to charge it).
Another solution for this kind of issue:
1. Connect the USB cable to computer (do not connect Kindle).
2. Hold the Power button for 20 seconds.
3. After 20 seconds while still holding Power button, plug the other part of the USB cable in the Kindle.
4. Leave the Kindle for 2 minutes and try to turn it on (hold the Power button for exactly 45 seconds).
5. Test your Kindle (try to charge it).
Please try all solutions (step by step) and let me know if that works. I'll be waiting for your reply.
If none of those solutions works or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service. Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button and I'll provide you with the next step.
Kind Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Todd. The Kindle did charge up but it is not working properly. It does not respond to my touch correctly, and gets stuck on various pages. In the light of this I feel that the money I have paid is totally wasted. No doubt Just Answer.co.uk will refuse to refund my fee.

I feel that this product is rubbish and would never recommend to anyone.

Mike Johns

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your reply.
If none of the previous solutions works (the most important troubleshooting steps), I have good and bad news for you (please don't shoot the messenger).
Bad news is that your Kindle is defective. I have provided you with the all troubleshooting steps for resolving this kind of issue (resetting the software, force reset, USB charging). Unfortunately there is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve.
Good news is that if your Kindle is still under Amazon warranty (1-year warranty) you will receive a new Kindle for free.
If your Kindle is out of warranty, the good news is that Amazon does often replace Kindles out of warranty. At least they would replace it for less than the cost of repairing.
You will have to contact your seller or Amazon warranty support service directly to arrange replacement.
There is an option that Amazon calls you. Please follow the steps below:
1. Go to the page below - click here.
Log in using your Amazon account information.
2. Select Kindle > Kindle Device (or Troubleshooting my Kindle) > Problem with my Kindle > My Kindle is damaged or Kindle is frozen/unresponsive
3. Click Phone - Call us
4. Enter your number and choice "Call me now" or "Call me for 5 minutes".
Sorry because your issue is not resolved, but there is a hardware issue that can't be resolved online.
If you need more information or help please don't hesitate to ask.
Kind Regards,
Todd