Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a panasonic sc-btt190ebk. It has had very light use

I have a panasonic sc-btt190ebk. It has had very light use but now it won't play some blu rays (3d and ordinary) showing a compatibility problem message even though it has played them in the past. Other discs it plays normally

Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Does the unit playback any/ few Bluray Disc now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shahid,

Yes it does playback some discs, bluray and 3d bluray.

An example is The hobbit, it will play disc part 2 but not part 1.

Some discs come up with a compatibility problem message even though they have been played on the unit in the past.

Regards Brian

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Brian for the info.
Have you tried to upgrade firmware of player?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shahid,

No, I havn't got a wifi adaptor or a LAN cable. I will get a cable in the next few days and try a firmware upgrade.

Brian

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Brian,
That would be fine, plug Ethernet cable in player and hook it to modem then go to Easy Network option in setup menu to connect the player to internet, to upgrade the firmware, press Home > Others > OK > Setup > OK > System > OK > Firmware Update > OK > Update Now > OK to update the player firmware, put a Bluray disc in player after finishing the update and check.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shahid,

I now have the ethernet cable and have downloaded the firmware update but it has made no difference. The same discs are coming up with compatibility problems even brand new discs.

Brian

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, have you tried to unplug unit power cord from wall socket after firmware updating for 5 minutes to reset, replug and check?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done that now but no joy, still the same

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Brian,
Last option is to run/ play lens cleaning disc in unit to clean the laser lens as it is possible the laser lens might be dirty/ clogged that made it unable to read certain disc data, also clean the new disc (which doesn't playback) with soft cotton cloth, I hope lens and disc cleaning will help and firmware update should be carried out from time to time to keep the unit updated.
If lens cleaning doesn't help then I'm afraid it would be laser block issue and another stand-alone disc player will be next option to connect to this sound system to keep it going.
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I have ordered a cleaning disc and I hope that it will work, thanks

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please reply back how it goes.
Wish you good luck!
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shahid,

The cleaning disc made no difference. I have ordered a new home theatre system. The old one is going to the rubbish dump. Thankyou for your advice.

Regards Brian

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian,
Sorry to hear that cleaning the lens didn't work and laser block found defective. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech