Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a sony hdr-cx730e camcorder and it has just started

I have a sony hdr-cx730e camcorder and it has just started to refuse to play back my footage on my sandisk 32gig sd card .Everything appears to be normal I have reset the camera and no improvement.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Does camcorder display any error code on screen when refuse to playback SD card?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no it seems to be normal.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, what happens when you try to playback SD card in camcorder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the sd card sign on the screen flashes

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible to try the SD card in another device like computer or another camcorder etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried the card in my blu ray dvd recorder after Ihad taken it out of the camera and at first would not recognise it and Ithought the camera had wiped the card.So itried another card in the recorder and it played ok so Iput the other card in the player and it was ok.I tried the card and 2 others in the camera but the card sign flashed again like the camera refused to recognise them. this card I used on saturday and it only has about an hours recording on it.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Richard for the info.
Have you tried to format a SD card (which doesn't have important footage) in camera to see if it helps?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I have and the camera does not recognise it.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, how old is the camcorder and is it under warranty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ive had it about 2years so its probably out.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, let me check related schematics get back to you in 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok mate.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for waiting,
Do you hear click sound of catcher lock when insert memory card in camcorder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When Iput the card in there is a faint click and when I select playback there is a dfinite click.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Richard for the info.
There are two possible hardware failure in camcorder that can cause this issue, either the memory card board (LD-297 board) where the memory card insert is defective or the main processor board (VC-658 board) is bad, LD-297 board replacement will tell us if it fix the problem or the main board (VC-658 board) is defective, LD-297 board would be available on low price so it has worth to give it try and if main board found bad then you would be better off with a new camcorder as main board replacement would cost around new camera price.
Camera will take apart in details for board replacement so a handy person should do this work to avoid any damage.
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this camera repair or invest that money on new replacement camcorder. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.