Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Hi I recently bought a Goodmans HD Digital TV Recorder so

I recently bought a Goodmans HD Digital TV Recorder so I can record Freeview (GV102ZRH Series). I tried to set it up this evening but once the areal goes through the box and I switch everything on, the picture becomes totally pixellated and I can't do anything else. According to the instructions i should get a 'First Time Installation' Screen - this doesn't happen - I just get a broken up picture of what ever is on that channel at the time. I've tried disconnecting it all and setting it up again but the same thing happens each time. As it's not installing at all is it possible I have a faulty recorder or am I doing something really basic wrong?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the complete model number of recorder?
- Also, have you tried to run channel search/ tuning in recorder menu to update the available channels data?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shahid

Model number is ***** I haven't tried looking in the recorder menu as i didn't think that would work without installing and it didn't give me the installation screen.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Emma for the model number info.
Please press Menu on recorder remote control to get menu screen on TV then use down arrow key to select Settings (gears icon) then select System tab on top right then you will see 'First Time Installation" option, select it and press OK to go through the set up screen which you are looking for, it will scan/ tune all available channels to store in memory.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shahid

The recorder won't do anything at all. I can't get a menu screen and it won't even switch into standby from the remote. Weirdly, when I run the aerial through the recorder we get a picture with occaisional interference, but as soon as I switch the power on to the recorder the picture becomes completely broken up, as does the sound, then the picture goes off completely and the message 'poor signal' comes up on the TV screen, and the recorder won't do anything. A light flashes on the front of the recorder each time I press a button on the remote but nothing else happens! Think I have a faulty recorder?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Emma,
Yes, it seems the recorder is faulty, have you tried to unplug aerial pin from recorder and check or unplug the recorder power cord from wall socket for 5 minutes to get it reset, replug and again check?
If nothings helps to get the menu screen appear to proceed then I'm afraid it is faulty recorder that should be returned to store to get it replaced.
Regards,
Shahid.