Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Hi, I have a Nikon Coolpix L23 compact camera and have an intermittent

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Nikon Coolpix L23 compact camera and have an intermittent problem.
Sometimes the screen shows a very unstable, distorted and largely pinky/purple image. Taking a picture when the display is like this produces a photo showing the same distortion as just described.
As I say, this is intermittent. I can switch the camera on and it is fine, then after say 10 seconds the picture goes distorted?
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks, Peter
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Pete :

Hi Peter!

Pete :

If the distortion comes out on your photos, then it is a fault with the image sensor inside the camera.

Pete :

Since the problem is intermittent, the sensor ribbon cable may just have come loose.

Pete :

This can happen if the camera suffers a shock or gets dropped.

Pete :

The camera will need to be opened up, and the sensor ribbon cable checked to ensure it is seated securely in the connector on the main board.

JACUSTOMER-zpp99703- :

Thanks for your reply Pete. I think what you say is probably the cause. I took the back of the camera off (removing 6 screws) and then had some very limited access to the sensor ribbon and prodded it gently to see what affect it had. The image was affected and sometimes improved or sometimes reverted to the original problem, which to me does imply a loose connection as you suggested. The trouble is I can't see how to get proper access to the ribbon to make sure it is seated securely. Is there any help you can give me as to what to do next once the rear cover of the camera is removed. There seem to be no other screws to undo and everything seems solidly bound together. (apart from the LCD screen which I can lift off)

JACUSTOMER-zpp99703- :

Thanks, Peter

Pete :

Hi Peter,

Pete :

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - just getting caught up on my emails now.

Pete :

Here is a useful video from YouTube that shows how the L23 is disassembled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0zXspLsgsQ

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else.

Pete :

Finally, I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment to leave a high rating for my service on this page when you are done :)

JACUSTOMER-zpp99703- :

Hi Pete, Thanks for your reply. I had in fact already seen that youtube clip you sent. The trouble with it is it only goes as far as taking the back off and removing / replacing the LCD screen. The video does not address how to further disassemble the camera to get access to the motherboard where the sensor ribbon cable is attached. I did a general search of youtube and the internet and have found no luck in how to do this. Any further thoughts would be much appreciated. I will happily rate you as excellent in due course but realise that if do that now, I fear I can not reply to you.

JACUSTOMER-zpp99703- :

Many thanks, Peter

JACUSTOMER-zpp99703- :

Hi Pete,

JACUSTOMER-zpp99703- :

Your reply to my above message was blank...was this intentional?

JACUSTOMER-zpp99703- :

Thanks Peter

Pete :

Hi, no I had not posted any reply on this page! Not sure why you were seeing a blank reply.

Pete :

I will try and get some further information on this for you.