Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

The picture on my digital TV freezes & locks intermittently.

The picture on my digital TV freezes & locks intermittently. However if it is connected to a freeview box it works perfectly. I have retuned it without success. I have also connected a different TV to the aerial & it works perfectly. I thought at first that there is a fault in the set but if so would this also show up when run through the freeview box?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of your TV in question?
- Also, how do you connect freeview box to the TV?
In AV or HDMI input of TV?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model is LG - 32LC46
Connected in AV1

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Set is approx. 6 years old & problem has only happened in past couple of months

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
Mostly this kind of problem occurs either by failing capacitors on power supply board or the failing tuner in TV, please replace the bad capacitors on power supply board of TV or entire power supply board and check, if it doesn't help then we are looking at defective tuner and main board of TV will need to be replaced.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks but if the set is faulty why does it operate fully without problems when run through freeview box

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Good question,
Any video source connected to AV1 or other input of TV sends signals directly to video processing circuitry and Tuner isn't used, in other words, TV is used as monitor when AV1 or any other input is used and tuner is bypassed in this connection setup.
So when you connect freeview box in AV1 input of TV, you use freeview box built in tuner for TV channels and not the TV tuner.
I hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your full explanation. I think your suggested replacement parts would be fairly expensive bearing in mind the age of set & I think it best in meantime to just continue to run set through box.If you send me ratings again I will give you a good mark. Many thanks

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Yes, freeview box will work fine with this TV as an alternate tuner and you won't need to do any physical repair with the TV.
Regards,
Shahid.