*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

I have a nexus 7 now two years old. Today settings said 'not

Customer Question

I have a nexus 7 now two years old. Today settings said 'not responding' twice so turned power off. Now nexus comes on but won't go beyond google and coloured balls on screen saver. Can't turn it off either. There should be plenty of charge. Help! Debbie
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 2 years ago.
My nam is Randy, I am sorry to hear that happened.
  1. Follow these steps please> If your tablet is on, turn it off.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the tablet turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it.
  3. Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode."
  4. Press the Power button to start Recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words "No command."
  5. While holding down the Power button, press the Volume Up button.
  6. Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset," then press the Power button to select it.
  7. Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data," then press the Power button to select it.

Note: If your tablet becomes unresponsive at any point during these steps, you can restart it by holding down the Power button for several seconds.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have finally managed that but after pressing delete all, it comes back to reboot. I tried reboot with same result - screen saver balls. Tried deleting once more but still stuck after google displayed, then balls!

I haven't been able to switch the nexus off at all.

okay, try this next please>
  1. press & hold the Power button.
  2. Touch & hold the Power off option in the dialog box.
  3. Touch OK in the following dialog to start safe mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Won't give me the power off dialogue box

We need to get it to power off, try holding the power button for a full 60 seconds please, if that does not work you will have to manually disconnect the battery.

open the back with a plastic spudger , then unplug the battery for about 2 minutes, reattach the battery and close the device back up. then push the power button as normal,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I get to recovery mode, the third click on the down button takes me to power off mode. Have switched off for at least two mins then will try your erase all sequence. Thanks will let you know. Debbie

that sounds good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No go. Back to the coloured balls and no further despite it telling me twice that it has all been deleted. Debbie

Will have to go out shortly. Am I able to follow this up with you in about 3 hours?

okay, try removing the battery for a few minutes then try the reset again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No battery visible to remove. Tried your advice in email several more times but continues to holt at the same stage. Will probably have to leave it at this point. Thanks for your help. Debbie

Please let me know if you need any other assistance, also please take a moment to rate my service positively.
Thank you very much!