Hello there and thank you for contacting Justanswer today!
My name is ***** ***** I will try my best to assist you.
Garmin themselves have discovered a problem with the nuvi 30, 40, and 50 products that prevents them from booting up successfully past the Garmin logo screen that you are currently facing with your device.
If the model of your Garmin Satnav is one of the nuvi 30, 40 and 50 products then please attempt the following steps below:
Things you'll need:
- A PC running Windows XP or newer (This process will not work on a Macintosh OS)
- Your nuvi 30, 40, or 50 device - mini USB cable to connect your device to your computer
- Access to your vehicle and power cable once you have completed the recovery process
Update your Software:
- Download and install the Garmin USB Drivers, please click the following link: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591
Make sure you have installed this download before attempting anything below!
Now just download the following files to somewhere you can easily access them, but do not touch them until after they have downloaded. You should have both the recovery application and the recovery file.
- Download the Recovery Application from the following link: DANGEROUS URL REMOVED
- Download the recovery file for your device (see below)
For a nuvi 30 device download the following file: http://download.garmin.com/support/firmware/nuvi_x0/134900010350.rgn
For a nuvi 40 or 50 device download the following file: http://download.garmin.com/support/firmware/nuvi_x0/135000010350.rgn
- Drag and drop the .rgn recovery file which you just downloaded above using your mouse on top of the Updater.exe Recovery Application and let go of your mouse click. The application will launch if done correctly.
- With your device disconnected and turned off, use your thumb to apply pressure to the upper-left hand corner of the touchscreen
- While still holding the touchscreen, connect the device to your computer using the mini USB cable
- The Updater program will detect your device and will list the device in the "USB Device" drop-down menu - From the computer select the radio button next to "USB Device", Click OK, and let go of the touchscreen
- Your nuvi will now go through the process of updating software. It may power off and on during this process. Once complete, your device may display the following message: The software on the device is newer than the software you are attempting to install. Installing the older software will erase all user data. Install the older Software? If this message appears, please select No
- Disconnect your device from the computer and connect it to your vehicle power cable while plugged into a live power outlet in your vehicle Your device should now be recovered and updated.
Please follow each of these steps carefully so that you can fully understand how the process works. If you require any additional assistance with each of the steps I have listed above please feel free to reply so I can provide you with additional support!
This guide was referenced from the following Garmin support website and I tried to word it a little easier for you to understand: http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B4a78cf80-fce4-11e1-e8a7-000000000000%7D
If the satnav you are using is not one of these particular models, then please reply to me below with the model of Garmin Satnav you are using.
If you could also take a minute to rate my answer today that would be greatly appreciated!
All the best and hope everything goes smoothly for you,