Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

Samsung S4 Phone Was working when I went to bed Plugged in

Samsung S4 Phone
Was working when I went to bed
Plugged in to charge
after 20-30 minutes the screen suddenly went white and lit the room.
Would not power off ... had to disconnect battery
Now all I get is a white "noise" screen
Any idea what I need to do?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question.
I'm Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

First of all sorry for the late response. I just logged in and found your question on the questions list.
When did you purchase your cell phone?
Can you confirm that your phone did not get wet or physically damaged?
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no ... nothing happened to damage it at all

Hi John,
Thank you for your reply.
This problem sounds like a hardware issue, but sometimes the same issue can be caused by glitch in the software. If there is a software issue, the only way to resolve it will be to perform hard reset. That procedure will delete data from internal phone memory, but not memory card (pictures and videos are stored on memory card by default).
Will that be OK?
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It won't do a factory reset .. tried that

Just to be sure, did you try performing hard reset by holding Volume UP, Home an Power button at the same time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yep ... white screen flashes on and off (very slowly) ... phone does not boot up ... still unable to switch on and off using power button

Did you try to update software on the phone using Kies?
If not, please give it a try.
1. Download and install the Samsung Kies software - click here.
2. Once you have installed Kies to your computer start it up.
3. Connect your phone to your computer with the USB cable.
4. If this is the first time you connect your phone to the computer, give it a couple of minutes to install the necessary drivers and connect.
5. If any updates are available a pop up will appear.
6. Click update and hit confirm once you have read the caution statements (be sure to created backup of your data).
7. Hit the start upgrade button.
Please let me know the result. I'll be waiting for your reply.
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Phone will not connect to PC using Kies or anything else ...

John,
Because none of the previous solutions works (the most important troubleshooting steps), I have good and bad news for you (please don't shoot the messenger).
Bad news is that your phone is defective (defective main board). There is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve.
Good news is that if your phone is still under warranty (1-year warranty) you will receive a new phone for free.
You will have to contact Samsung warranty support service at 0330 SAMSUNG (726 7864) to arrange replacement or repair.
Sorry I could not be of any more assistance, but there is a hardware issue that can't be resolved online.
Please let me know if you are not satisfied with my help or if you need more information. I'll be happy to help with any follow up questions.
Regards,
Todd