Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Hi, I have a Panasonic SL-P990 compact disc player. It does

Hi, I have a Panasonic SL-P990 compact disc player. It does not always recognise CDs, and when it does, will not always play tracks.
After removing the case lid, I noticed that the disc was turning slowly and would come to a rest.
When manually spun to increase speed, the CD player would work fine and continue to work correctly unyil the next CD load or restart.
What causes the CD motor to run slowly, i.e. is there a speed control?
How can I fix this?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- How old is the CD player and how long it have had the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The player is around 1980's, and only recently has developed problem.

As the motor continues to operate correctly when it has manually been assisted up to speed, it could be a sensor, but I don't know much about the model.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Paul for the info.
Mostly it is the spindle motor that rotates the disc, when it worn out it start acting like this, I would suggest to lubricate it with drop of oil/ WD-40 cleaner to see if it helps.
If it doesn't help then motor will be replaced and it would be hard to obtain the replacement motor for this old CD player so at this point you would be better off with a new DVD player which plays CD as well and would be available around $30 or $40 in local stores.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.