Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Hi there, I have a problem with a Sony HDV camera tape hol

Hi there, I have a problem with a Sony HDV camera tape holder.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of Sony camera in question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok great, thank you!!

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Model number would be written on label pasted on bottom of camera.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

SONY MODEL NO HVR-Z5N

Digital HD Video Camera

417442

4-126-539-01

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, just noticed - Sony HVR-Z5N

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the model number, does camera show any flashing error code on screen when failed to open the tape door?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model No

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Frits, Thanks for the model number, does camera show any flashing error code on screen when failed to open the tape door?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it does not show any flashing lights or any error code. The camera works perfectly normal. When I switch it off, it will actually open the tape holder for a tape to be inserted. Once I close it, it just stays there. Nothing happens. It's not loading the tape.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, and I hope if you detach the battery for a while then reattach it, tape mechanism will slide down, is this correct?
If so, press eject to open the tape door, wait couple of minutes and camera will display error code on its screen that will help to diagnose the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately the tape mechanism is just staying there, even switching off the camera and waiting for 5 minutes or even longer.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Remove the battery from camera for 5 minutes, attach the battery again and check.
Switching off the camera will not reset it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that is what we've done also. We've removed the battery and let it stand over night. No response.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shahid, any other suggestion?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
This is odd, either mechanism should slide in OR camera should give error code on screen.
I can point you release lever location in the picture that you posted here, you will notice X shape levers and a spring hooked on that X, push the lever of left edge of X with a small flat screw driver which should release the tape door to get it open.
Please check following link to view the picture where I marked the X shape levers location..
http://imagend.com/images/2014/11/28/LMc8k.jpg
Please reply back how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It just opens automatically when re-inserted the battery ;-)

Should I leave it open?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Nice, thats what I was asking you to remove and attach the battery.
Close the tape door and eject it again to make sure all is set.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, you don't understand, this is working. When I close it, it just stay there. This part is working fine. When I push the tape holder back, it just stay there. It does not load the tape.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shahid, any other suggestions? I even now tried to put in a tape and see if it will load. But also the same problem.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Frits,
Again, I would ask, please check camera screen for any unusual icon may flashing or appeared, it seems either mechanism has got any broken gear (mechanical problem) or the dew sensor telling that humidity level is over and preventing the tape to load. In both cases, camera screen should display the info whats going on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The camera is only flashing the no tape sign.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Camera is acting very odd and confusing.
Only thing that comes to my mind is that flexible ribbon cable from side of tape mechanism goes to circuit board has cracked so main controller chip couldn't detect that tape door is closed to load the mechanism (with or without tape, it should slide in).
It needs visual check of flexible ribbon cable and camera will take apart in details to access the tape mechanism, this kind of work should be done by handy/ qualifier person to avoid any damage to this costly camera, please contact your local Sony service center or good camera repair shop to get it repaired.
If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote that could be around $250 plus..
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech