Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

got a mini hi fi sony when we put power on we get a grinding

got a mini hi fi sony when we put power on we get a grinding sound even when we turn the power off it still grinds until it cools down
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number of Sony hifi system in question?
- How old it is and how long it have had the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

model no ta-s9d it is 12years old the noise just aweek

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for model number info, is the grinding sound coming from cassette section or disc section?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the grinding is coming from disc section

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please eject the disc, if any and check, does the grinding sound still come?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

grinding is still on disc section , can not eject

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, would you like to repair the unit by yourself (it needs basic electronics knowledge and unit will take apart) or want diagnosis and approx cost on repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please could we have diagnosis and approx cost on repair and could you repair it please

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
CD player (DVP-S9) has bit complicated 3 disc mechanism and grinding noise must be coming from broken/ worn out gear in loading mechanism, since unit is year 2001 model so it would be hard to get required replacement parts, however, local repair shop may charge around 80 to 90 Pounds for repair. I'm not in UK so can't repair it.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.