Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Sony Bravia KDL50W829 and have connected it via an

I have a Sony Bravia KDL50W829 and have connected it via an optical cable to a Dennon AVR1802, but can't get any sound out of the speakers connected to the AVR.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Is it possible to confirm the AVR optical input by connecting another audio source like CD or DVD player?
plug the optical cable of AVR into CD or DVD player optical out port and check the sound, this way we will confirm that AVR is fine and ready to get signal from TV.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have any other device with an optical output I'm afraid.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Clive,
We have three things in series in this connection setup, TV, optical cable and receiver and we need to check at least two things to narrow down the issue or we will keep running in circles to chase the problem.
Can you please get one audio device that has optical out port for that test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The only other device I have with an optical out port is a humax hard disk recorder. That doesn't seem to work either which suggests it's the AVR. Coax connections to the AVR work fine.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Clive for the info.
I would try another optical cable for this test to make sure it is AVR issue and its not the internally broken optical cable.
Also, make sure that optical cable is plugged securely and tight in AVR and audio device optical out port.
Can you please try another optical cable?
If AVR still doesn't give sound output then I'm afraid we can't connect AVR receiver to this TV and you need to get a sound bar (preferably that has HDMI ARC feature) to connect to this TV for sound output.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.