carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

My Olympus VR 350 has developed a fault. The lens is permanently

Customer Question

My Olympus VR 350 has developed a fault. The lens is permanently extended. When I try to switch the camera off or on it simply retracts and extends again showing red light at the back and making blipping noise that stops after a couple of seconds. No sign of life thereafter. Have tried shaking, twisting, blowing. Have removed and replaced card and battery to no effect. It has worked fine until yesterday for over a year. Any suggestions please.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

I have seen you have tried most of the tips for freeing a stuck lens.

Would you be looking at attempting to repair the camera yourself?

This is what I normally suggest to try and there is a web link with some more information.

Many Camera faults are caused by dust and grit getting into the lens workings and stopping it coming out or stopping sensors working out where the lens is.

Sometimes tapping the camera into your hand when turning the camera on or off can help with freeing stuck lenses.

If you have access to some air in a can or air compressor you could try gently blowing some air around the lens to see if that will help, also brushing around the lens with a small brush might help free any dust.

There is some good information here on camera repair.

http://camerarepair.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/fixing-lens-error-on-digital-camera.html

If you need a camera repairer this company seems to repair most cameras.

www.camerarepairworkshop.co.uk