carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

My Technics SL CH550 CD player will play for ten minutes then

My Technics SL CH550 CD player will play for ten minutes then shuts down the entire stack. All other components work normally
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
carlday1 :

HI,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Normally when the system shuts itself down it is heat related, The first thing I would suggest is to check all vents on the system for dust and if possible hoover or brush away as much dust as possible.

Does the system shutdown f you use the tuner or is it only the cd? Can you speed up the shut down time or extend it by turning the volume up or down.

Customer:

Volume does affect speed of shut down. The CD player is the only function that does this

carlday1 :

If volume affects it I am sure is likely to be heat related are the vents clear of dust and blockages

carlday1 :

Could you check that the fan is spinning as they are a common part to need replacing.

Do you plan on repairing the unit yourself?

Customer:

In answer to your question, yes I'll probably do the repair myself, I'll follow your suggestions with regard to the cleaning / fan. Where would I get replacement parts for this admittedly ancient piece of kit ?

Customer:

Just checked fan, doesn't seem to be running

carlday1 :

If you do plan on repairing the unit yourself.

I would suggest that you unplug the unit (including all audio connections) and remove the lid on the amp and give everywhere a good clean and remove as much dust as possible, I use compressed air from an airline or a can to blow away the dust.

I would also use alcohol IPA to remove any thermal paste from the output transistors and any other components that have it and I would replace it with some fresh thermal paste.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-high-thermal-conductivity-heatsink-compound-n57al?gclid=CN-KtdSz48ICFSbnwgodhD0AeA

Parts should be available but would probably take some finding once you have confirmed it is the fan, If you send me a photo of the fan label I should be able to point you in the right direction to buy one.

carlday1 :

If the fan is not running it could be faulty I would leave the unit on and see if it starts, I cannot remember if it runs all the time or only when the unit gets hot.

Customer:

Thanks Carl, How would I send you details now you've " stepped out " ?

carlday1 :

If you log back in you should still be able too see the question and send me a photo, if you cannot let me know and I will send you an upload link

Customer:

Thanks again, rated excellent so you should definately be paid !