carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

My fuji finepix 200 exr camera will still take pictures; but

My fuji finepix 200 exr camera will still take pictures; but when I try to upload them, the camera stops working as soon as the lead is plugged in.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
carlday1 :

HI,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

I think the problem may be a software issue with the camera, The first thing I would suggest to try is to remove the battery from the camera for a couple of minutes then try again.

I would also suggest you check the fujifilm site in case there is a firmware update available for your camera.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/f/finepix_f200exr/

The link is for the F200 exr

Customer:

I have already tried removing and replacing the battery. I also tried using my spare battery. Same result.

carlday1 :

What operating system do you use on the computer, have you tried re installing the camera driver on the computer

Customer:

It's a MacBook Pro 1300. I think it uses OSX?

carlday1 :

Has the camera work ok before with the macbook

Customer:

Yes, fine, I've used it a lot and never had problems getting photos onto the laptop.

Customer:

I think it's the camera, not the computer, because even when the lead isn't plugged into the laptop, the camera switches itself off as soon as the camera end of the connector lead is plugged into it.

carlday1 :

Could you have a look inside the port on the camera and make sure the connector looks intact I have seen damaged connectors that cause items to freeze. You may need a torch to see properly.

Customer:

Ok, doing that now.

Customer:

Have just checked the port under magnifying light; no sign of any damage, and it seems to plug in normally.

carlday1 :

Brilliant its not the port. Did you have a look at the firmware link? I think we should update the firmware.

Are you photos on a sd card or similar

Customer:

Have just looked at the Fuji site. There are 2 firmware updates: one is about improving the flash, the other about better auto white balance for subjects in the shade. All the photos I've taken and decided to keep are on the computer except one from November, and half a dozen from yesterday, that I was going to send to family at Christmas. Afraid not very technically literate, so don't know what an sd card is?

carlday1 :

what is the model number of your camera and I will check and see if it has an sd card is i F200 exr

Customer:

I'm not sure which is the model number; but on the bottom of the camera itself, under the "Fuji Finepix 200 exr and the voltage/wattage, there is a number: BB20582-300. I also have the camera box, which has a serial no. on the side: 9BQ07432. Are those any help?

carlday1 :

A sd card is a small card that store the pictures on I wanted to see if your camera had one because when the firmware updates it would be wise to remove it to keep the pictures safe.

The sd card is likely to be located under a cover near to the battery or on the side of the camera.

carlday1 :

I am trying to find out exactly where the card is but I am struggling to get the instructions

Customer:

Hi, sorry to keep you waiting. Yes, it does have an sd card, next to the battery.

carlday1 :

if you push it down it should pop out

Customer:

yes, done that and have taken it out. It's 2 GB.

carlday1 :

your pictures are stored on that so if we cannot get the camera to work again if you put that into a card reader you would be able to copy the pictures to your computer

This is a card reader there are many about and some are much cheaper.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2874760.htm

Customer:

Thanks for the link, have just checked it out.

carlday1 :

You can sometimes get sd card readers in the poundshop

Customer:

Right, we have one quite close (an Argos too).

carlday1 :

I would suggest you try and update the firmware it may not work because when you put the lead in the camera it may crash. Which then means the only way to copy the photos would be with a card reader.

carlday1 :

If you use a card reader it is just a matter of plugging it into the computer then it mounts as another hard drive and you are able to access the card to copy the photos off it

Customer:

OK, thanks for your help. Since the camera is still working, I suppose I can carry on using it if I get a card reader to get the pictures onto the laptop. How do I do that, please?

Customer:

Sorry - just seen that you've answered that already!

Customer:

Thanks for your help!

carlday1 :

Your welcome if you need help when you have the card reader feel free to send me a message

Customer:

Thanks, ***** *****