carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

My Sony Bravia TV (KDL 37V4000) keeps reverting to channel

My Sony Bravia TV (KDL 37V4000) keeps reverting to channel A on sound. I reset to Stereo and it just inexplicably changes back again. Not always just sometimes.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Could you let me know if the tv reverts to channel A on all inputs (HDMI, EXT and freeview)

Customer:

I was on HDMI 1 this morning and went to HDMI 2 if this helps

carlday1 :

Do you know if you have problems on freeview, If the set is only have trouble with sound on a certain input it might be as simple as a faulty HDMI lead that is causing the problem.

Customer:

if by freeview you mean Digital TV channel - yes it reverts to A (occasionally)

carlday1 :

Thanks and does it revert to A on HDMI inputs as well?

Customer:

Yes (occasionally)

carlday1 :

I suspect the problem is a faulty main board or a software issue, I have checked for updated software for your set and I cannot find any available but sony do sometimes release software which is only available to customers how report problems. It would be worth sending Sony an email to ask if new firmware is available and if it would address your fault.

I would suggest resetting the tv as this might solve matters if it is software related. There is a factory reset in the service mode but this could cause more issues so I would suggest not to use that.

If you unplug the set from the wall for 5mins that would be good enough to reset the software in the tv

Customer:

I've tried that. No different.

Customer:

It was the first solution that occurred to me!

Customer:

It's not a repeatable fault. Which makes it harder to track and cure.

carlday1 :

I will look into a factory reset it might solve the problem but needs to be used with caution. I will get back to you soon.

Customer:

I've discovered that if you first set stereo on freeview and other non-hdmi channels, the whole system stays stable on stereo! But thanks for your help.