carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

I have a DVD recorder, model no DMR EX 75 EB -S, serial no

I have a DVD recorder, model no DMR EX 75 EB -S, serial no VQ6JC10072R. It has become very slow and unresponsive to both remote and front panel instructions. It is showing an error code U81 which is not referred to in the instruction book. I can play pre recorded DVDs on it but cannot access the contents of the hard drive. I cannot record from another device via the AV in scart terminal. I cannot access the set up or other menus. The tune function has not worked for some time. All other problems started a few days ago.
regards ***** *****
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

I am afraid to say most recorders with a error code U81 need an internal repair. The problem is often caused by a faulty surface mount integrated circuit and a capacitor. The components have become faulty and the voltage inside the player is lower than it should be and that's what is causing the player to be slow.

If you would like to tackle the repair I can help you through it but you will need very good soldering skills as the one component is surface mount and very small. I might be able to suggest a local engineer to you who may be able to help fix the player for you.

Customer:

what would the repair involve? would it just be resoldering a dry joint or would it be acquiring and replacing components?

carlday1 :

It would involve replacing a capacitor and a IC like this

Full Size Image

Customer:

If I decide not to go ahead with a repair would I be able to recover the recordings on the hard drive?

carlday1 :

Yes the recordings on the hard drive should be safe.

Customer:

How can I recover the contents of the hard drive if I cannot access the drive?

carlday1 :

Sorry I miss read the previous question.

You would need to repair the device to access the contents or possibly placing the hard drive into another Panasonic recorder will help you recover the contents. The repair should only cost around £40 to have repaired professionally.

Customer:

Many thanks for your help so far. You stated earlier that you may be able to suggest a local engineer who may be able to help fix the recorder for me. I would be grateful for a contact name and email or phone number.

carlday1 :

Could you send me you postcode and I will look at local engineers for you or would you be prepared to post the unit to a repairer?

Customer:

I would prefer a local engineer if possible. My postcode is CH3 7BD

carlday1 :

I have had a look and the only engineer I could find that may be able to help has a website.

http://www.coastaltv.co.uk/

I hope this helps