carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

On returning from holiday, there was

On returning from holiday, there was no dialling tone on my KX-TG8324E phone. I have checked the connections, removed the splitter and connected the phone directly to the phone jack on the wall, replaced the batteries in the handset and disconnected/reconnected the base unit to the power supply. All to no avail. Please advise either online (my internet connection is fine) or by calling XXXXThank you. Rod XXXX

Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
HI Rod,
Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.
Please could you let me know if the phone is plugged into your master socket?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for responding. No, the phone is connected via a splitter to enable internet access as well. However, as I said in my first message I have tried connecting the base unit directly to the socket on the wall (bypassing the splitter) but I still could not get a dialling tone.

Hope this helps.

Rod XXX

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rod,
Do you have any extension sockets? Could you have a look at this link and let me know if your phone socket looks like this.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/GPNTE5A.JPG
If it does can you unscrew the two screws and the front of the socket will pull off and you will see another phone socket behind this is the test point and removing the faceplate will remove all extension wiring. Could you plug your phone into this socket and let me know if you have a dial tone.
Do you have another phone you could try in the socket as well, a normal non cordless phone would be the best if you have one available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Carl,

We have no extension sockets in the house but I took off the front plate of the socket and plugged the phone directly into the socket behind. Still no dial tone I'm afraid.

Unfortunately I don't have a normal non-cordless phone to try.

Rod

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
HI Rod,
It could be possible that your phone line is faulty and you can still have internet, If you call your phone line from your mobile does it ring normally on the mobile?
Do you have a neighbor or family member that would let you test your cordless on their phone line.
It could be the cordless is faulty and if you call out BT to investigate the fault on your line you will be charged around £130 if no fault is found, I would like to eliminate the handset first if possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Carl,

Thanks. I'll try my neighbour when he returns home from holiday. If I close this window, how do I get back into this dialogue?

Rod.

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rod,
if you log back into just answer you should see the question or bookmark this page.
Carl
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Carl,

Thanks for all your help. I have now established that the fault lies with a BT cable outside the house and they are working on it.

Rod