carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

I have a Sony Micro HiFi system - CMT-SPZ90DB. When I switch

I have a Sony Micro HiFi system - CMT-SPZ90DB. When I switch on, the radio does not operate and the display shows "tuning". It will not let me tune manually and nothing seems to work in Tuner mode. It makes no difference whether I select FM or DAB. However, the CD player works perfectly.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If you think there is a solution other than to buy another system, I am prepared to await your answer.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.
I am afraid to say but I agree with the Sony technician and it is likely the tuner has failed or a component inside the tuning electronics. It may be repairable I have not personally come across the problem so I cannot give an exact price for repair but I would expect (this is a best guess) the repair of the unit to be between £30 and £100. Spares are available for the unit so I would suggest you call a few local engineers and see if they repair that type of unit and if they charge to look at it some engineers would give a free repair quote on a HiFi.
You might find that the best solution is to purchase a new unit but I would suggest calling a few engineers first.
I hope this helps
Carl
carlday1, Engineer
Experience: Self Employed Electronic Engineer