carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

Epson rx620 says error and wont do anything. Been running it

Epson rx620 says error and wont do anything. Been running it with compatable inks for years. Tried the basic 3 button reset but still reverts to error.
Any Advice?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

The first thing I would suggest to check is the print carrage and head to make sure there are no obstructions and the heads can move freely along the printer also check the cartridges and pushed in properly.

Does the printer make any noise when you turn it on?

Could you also try unplugging the printer from the mains for several minutes to give it a reset.

Customer:

I hope we can do better than this. There is no obstruction to the print head, all cartridges are present and clicked soundly in position.. I have unplugged the machine every time I try it to see if that cures the problem with no success. Just tried the 3 button reset again and the screen says 'INIT EPROM FINISHED TURN OFF PRINTER POWER'. And when it is switched on again, it makes 3 or 4 of the usual start up noises , then the error message comes up and it is frozen. The problem first appeared before Christmas just after I changed the yellow cartridge.

carlday1 :

I am afraid it sounds like the printhead or the printer logic board is faulty, There are few more things to try first.

If you could unplug the printer then

1. Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
2. Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
3. Try to clean the print head using some cotton wool buds and some Isopropanol Alcohol.
4. Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton wool bud.

This is quite a messy job and when I have to do it I always wear gloves.

Also I would suggest cleaning the area where the print head docks this will be covered in ink as this is where print head cleaning happens.

Have you have any paper jams recently?

Customer:

Customer:

hi, I always get a phantom paper jam when I print from Microsoft Photo Editor, but as I don't use it much that hasn't been a problem of any note. otherwise it prints well from all other programmes.

carlday1 :

I only asked as a tiny bit of paper hiding in the print can cause no end of problems.

Customer:

can I use methylated spirit? or acetone? don't have any isopropanol alcohol.

carlday1 :

Sorry IPA would be best as methylated spirit will leave residue, is the acetone pure or as nail varnish remover, if it is nail varnish remover again it could leave residue.

carlday1 :

Does the printer give an error code

Customer:

success! I found a very saturated scrap of paper jammed into the left end of the print head track which was jamming a white plastic lever which popped up when I removed the paper scraps. I also tried to clean up the foam pad at the other end but it disintegrated so I have removed it completely. will that be a problem?

carlday1 :

The foam pad is there to soak up ink when you run a print head clean or they are sometimes there to clean the head after printing, It will not stop the printer working but it might cause messy prints I would see how it goes you may need to every once in a while check the printer for ink mess and give it a clean.

Customer:

thanks for your help

carlday1, Engineer
Experience: Self Employed Electronic Engineer