michelleclive
michelleclive, Customer Service
Experience:  Working as a manager in a tech support company and i have an experience of 8 years and more in electronics device.
26798893

Hi. I have a Garmin nuvi 2445 sat nav & it keeps telling me

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Garmin nuvi 2445 sat nav & it keeps telling me that external power has been lost.
I have used several power cables (including a USB port on my computer) - all of which power it up & then the same thing occurs.
The device is clearly working and it is purely down to the this power "cut off".
Should I just replace the battery? However, since it is receiving power from external sources, I don't see how that would help???
Any suggestions, gratefully received! Rachel.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

• Confirm that external power is being supplied by the cable. An LED light on the cable should be lit (if it is not check the fuse in the cable).

Customer:

A quick blow (fast-acting) fuse is used in all Garmin power cables. The maximum amperage in the fuse can vary between the different devices. For the specifications of the fuse, you can view the sticker on the cable. If you are unable to locate this information on the cable, please consult the owners manual for your device at the following link: https://buy.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces?refresh=true

If you unscrew the cigarette lighter end of the power cable the fuse should come out. With newer cables that do not unscrew at the end:

1. Push the silver tip down with a coin

2. Turn the coin counter-clockwise one-quarter turn

3. Remove the end-piece, silver tip, and the fuse

If the fuse is blackened, burned or the filament inside the fuse is broken the fuse will need to be replaced. If you are unable to tell if the fuse is blown it can also be checked using a multimeter or continuity tester.

If the fuse has been damaged and needs to be replaced, remove the fuse from the cable. The voltage and amperage is stamped onto one of the metal ends of the fuse. This style of fuse can be obtained from most electronic or automobile stores.

Customer:

you may have to update the Garmin with the latest firmware

Customer:

click the link below

Customer:

let me know if you have any question.